Skip to main content
Answered

July 2024 Sonos Update - worth it or not?

Looked at my Sonos on the 16 July 2024 and noticed an update for my system (Sonos OS: S2).

Is it worth updating, as my previous experience was dismal and disappointing and we all know how that May update went.

What has been peoples experience with the July update??

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you still have the old, pre May 7th, app the update still lacks a lot of features.

If you have a post 7th May version then the update is probably better than what you have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I disagree only update if you are buying the new headphones I suggest you read the rest of the forums for an idea of the problems you could encounter 

I am on the older 16.1 app and firmware and all is working well 

here’s a link to start you off 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It’s always worth updating to the latest version, and ensuring you run the System Updates. No issues here whatsoever.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I will now shut up then😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ha! Not at all. Different strokes for different folks…!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The app is not working properly for a number of users and still has missing features.

The best way to help @Aussie Greg is giving him the facts so he can decide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

But that’s impossible. It depends entirely on the person’s local speaker/router/wifi/device etc setup. All anyone can say is it might work, it might not. The only way to find out is for that person to update. I’m just saying it’s working fine for me in the same way that others say it’s not working for them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The only way to find out is for that person to update.

The problem with that line of reasoning is that if Sonos force a firmware update on your speakers as part of the update then - as far as I’m aware - there is no going back. You are stuck with the result - which might work, or (as you say yourself) it might not.

Sonos do not provide any mechanism to revert to older versions of the speaker firmware (indeed, they don’t provide any mechanism to revert to older versions of the app, though there are some ways around this).

So… if the current app does what they need it to, why “upgrade”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I didn’t upgrade as I wanted to wait and see what happened and the posts suggested that it would be bad for me to do it 

I wasn’t buying any new hardware so as my system was working I left well alone and as time went by I decided to check out other systems 

I have connected a WiiM mini to my 5s and have been using it for music for a month now and replaced my moves and roams with echo dots and found I can have multi room with this setup and use the dots in the garden with battery packs 

I have done this as I wish to move away from a single firms and integrated system 

I have full high res with my main system on Qobuz and will be replacing my 5s with a class a/b amp and speakers later this year

now as @Rhonny said different strokes for different folks my decision is not based on using the new app but on information I have read on here and other internet sources and is my personal reaction to the direction Sonos is going

i was asked to beta test earlier however as it was web based I decided against it and I was dismayed by Sonos going web/server control.

please note I said PERSONAL reaction 😊

VERY BAD…Here below my experience .From today all my SONOS speakers are unusable, the Sonos APP made the SONOS Roam SL disappear 4 days ago, today N.1 Play 1 disappeared and the other one survives but I think this one will soon leave my WFI net too. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO RE-INSERT THEM INTO THE APP WITH THE RESET PROCEDURE, the APP crashes or the procedure ends but there is no trace of the speakers in the APP. Can I go back to the previous version of the APP? the previous one worked for three years, with this "NEW APP" it is a continuous disaster and it is a fact that I can no longer use the speakers. I'm quite annoyed by SONOS, the chat and the support phone number are impossible to contact, always waiting, waiting congratulations.This is second my post for this problem.For SONOS the NEW APP can be a big problem.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Can I go back to the previous version of the APP?

It’s a question that gets asked (and answered) a lot at the moment. Essentially, if you use the Android app, the answer is “Yes” (with caveats). If you’re using iOS, probably “No”, unless you really like to mess about with tech stuff...