Skip to main content

I was a subscriber of Apple Music and Sonos was working fine with it.
However I realised I mostly used  the cloud matching feature and hence recently "downgraded" to  iTunes Match which provides that service only. 
Sadly I can't seem to be able to stream my Cloud music on Sonos any longer.
Has anybody got a workaround to suggest?

Catalina OS

Sonos V1

Sorry but this is caused by Apple DRM restrictions on those who don’t pay for an Apple subscription.  Apple restricts play to Apple devices. There is nothing Sonos can do about this.

However, if you have an Airplay compatible Sonos speaker I don’t think there is anything to stop you playing on an Apple device and using Airplay.  (But I don’t have a Mac and I am not sure what you can Airplay from it.)

Go to iTunes on your device. The tracks do not need to be stored on that device. You can now play those albums, playlists etc thru Airplay. It is completely flaky however. You set the volume of the various speakers in your Sonos system with the first song. After that, you can only adjust them as a single volume control using that device’s volume control. If you try to, it defaults to that device’s speaker first, you have to then re-select each speaker you want to play on, which of course interrupts the play of that song and the entire playlist. I don't buy the apple DRM issue. If that was the case there be no reason for you to be able to stream from your own library using airplay in the first place. Another reason to drop iTunes match

@Palm Springs .  Feel free not to buy the DRM thing, but it happens to be true.  Similar issues arise with all the streaming services and downloaded (offline) content, which cannot be played on Sonos through the Sonos app, but can be Airplayed to compatible Sonos speakers.  As you have discovered, the inconvenience and compromises that are often involved still leave an incentive to pay for a subscription.

But believe what you will.