Skip to main content
Since the iPhone app and Play:1 were last updated, the iPhone app now takes longer to find the Play initially. Then, if I want to pause or resume playing, I get a message saying the app can't find the Sonos device and I have to try again two or three times. Similarly, if I try to change or mute/unmute the volume using the iPhone app, this can take up to around 15 seconds to happen.

Note that this had been working perfectly since I got the Play:1 at the start of the year - it's just been in the past few weeks that this annoying behaviour has started happening. As far as I'm aware, nothing environmental has changed (ie WiFi is the same router which hasn't been rebooted for a few months)

The phone is an iPhone 7 running the current iOS update with app version 10.3, build 51166240.

The Play:1 has the same build version as the iOs app, hardware version 1.20.1.6-2 and is connected over WiFi to my home network on the same net as the phone uses.
Frequently, connection issues that appear after a software update are due to duplicate IPs being handed out by the router when the Sonos does its soft reboot.

Easily rectified, just unplug all of you Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router is done rebooting, plug back in your Sonos devices, wait a minute, then test.

If this does work, I would certainly recommend looking in the router’s manual to see how to set up reserved IP addresses, and set them up for all devices on your network. It’s good housekeeping, and will keep this issue from reoccurring.
Thanks Bruce!

I did your suggestion and there was still a delay, so I rebooted my phone and that appears to have fixed the issue. My router generally gives out the same address to devices when they re-appear, but whatever the problem it now appears to have gone away.

Trevor