iOS volume control

• 16 April 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
It used to be you could open the sonos app and use your volume hard buttons to control volume. This now seems to be disabled and you can only do it with the GUI slider.

I hope that's not a permanent change? The hard button control is hands down the easiest way to control you system volume without having to use two hands and stare at the screen. In my sonos system sales I'm always showing people the hard button volume and everyone loves it. Please bring it back!!!!

Ok. So I just tested further. It looks like ver 4.3 on iPhone 5 the hard buttons still work. Ver 4.3 on iPhone 5s the buttons are not working.

Will test iphone when I get home.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The volume buttons work for me on the latest version of iOS and the Sonos app. I was using it last night.

Ok. So I just tested further. It looks like ver 4.3 on iPhone 5 the hard buttons still work. Ver 4.3 on iPhone 5s the buttons are not working.

For iOS, the hard-buttons have worked previously, and still do for me now on v4.3. This is on my iPhone 4S and iPad v3 (both still running iOS 6).

I do, however, have times when the hard-buttons just operate the device's (not Sonos') volume while in the Sonos app. I have found that minimizing, then maximizing the Sonos app (i.e. - a multitasking swap) returns the hard-button volume control back to the Sonos app.

It's never bothered me that much to pursue it any further.

Best of Luck
Make sure you do not have earbuds connected when you start the app. If you do, double click home, swipe up the sonos app to hard close it, then restart it without the earbuds and then volume buttons work.
I have an iPhone 5s running iOS 11.4 and Sonos 8.6 (build 43354030) and the volume down hard button has stopped working on the Sonos app only (it works for other phone functions). The volume up hard button works but is very 'jumpy'...will contact Support about it...