Skip to main content

Any reason I can’t shuffle ‘all songs’ on iTunes via Sonos iOS app?

Seems like basic functionality 

UPDATE this functionality on Sonos exists with Sonos iTunes integration and works with playlists, just not ‘all songs’ like it does on iTunes app

Any reason I can’t shuffle ‘all songs’ on iTunes via Sonos iOS app?

Seems like basic functionality 

UPDATE this functionality on Sonos exists with Sonos iTunes integration and works with playlists, just not ‘all songs’ like it does on iTunes app

Perhaps add the songs to the room queue and then shuffle them there - see screenshot.

If you actually hold the songs locally, either on a NAS or computer, then you can shuffle them as shown in the second attached screenshot.

I just want all of my iTunes tracks to shuffle. All of them. I cannot. Help!

Tried adding all songs to playlist. Error message: unable to add all tracks to “all list”. This is so deflating as seems like “basic functionality” as per contributor above. 

Tried adding all songs to playlist. Error message: unable to add all tracks to “all list”. This is so deflating as seems like “basic functionality” as per contributor above. 

If you’re referring to playlists from your local library, then see the following…

I personally find that straightforward UNC paths direct to each of the chosen local music library tracks, as a single ‘one-line’ entry, seems to work best for each .m3u playlist.

Here are a couple of ‘example’ entries (as seen in a text editor) to hopefully demonstrate what I mean, but clearly your own network path to the local library will be different:

\\192.168.0.1\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\The Knife.flac

\\192.168.0.1\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\Stagnation.flac

I also chose to strip out everything else from the playlist file, including these ‘directive extensions’…

• #EXTM3U - file header
  • Attachment: - track information/title

Note: Some .m3u playlist files may contain other types of ‘extensions’, which can all be removed. See this link :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

The extensions are not required for Sonos use, so I personally found removing ALL worked best for speed of loading the playlist.

In addition to the format stated above, the netbios name of the host NAS/PC also works well in place of the LAN IP address. Example:

\\MyWindowsPC\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\The Knife.flac

I have gone onto convert all my playlists to the above format and have just opted to place them in a separate folder within the local library, but they can be stored anywhere in the library that you’re indexing when using the UNC path for each track.

Using the above method I was able to get a 25,000+ playlist load to a Sonos player queue in a matter of a few seconds, well within the 15 second timeout period.

Anyhow, I hope that assists.