Skip to main content

Since version 12.1 (60381140) of the iOS S2 app, on fresh starts (initial run, after force quit or idle eviction) I’ve been prompted to ‘Add a voice assistant’ every time. I never want to set up either of the options available, and would very much like to not have to dismiss the prompt randomly.

Hi @incorrect, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

• Did you get the same prompts from other devices?
  • Have you tried resetting the Sonos app?
    • Settings > App Preferences > Reset App
    • Follow the steps on the app. Open the Sonos app and connect to your existing system.
  • 3. How about uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app?

After checking the steps above and you're still having the same issue, please submit a diagnostic to see if it will work. Let us know the confirmation number.

Let us know how it goes. We'll wait for your reply.

To clarify, this is in the Settings screen.

I get this using the S2 controller on my iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro, both on iOS 14.0.1, as well as my iPad mini 3 running 12.4.8.

It occurs after reinstalling the app, before and after signing in.

The easiest way to invoke it is to force quit the app and start it again. This is not something I normally do, but the prompt reappears if it has been evicted by the system while in the background.

The confirmation number I received when submitting the diagnostic info is: 1582603221

That’s a suggestion to watch a “tutorial movie” on how to set up a voice assistant. I believe there’s a setting in the Controller, probably near Settings>app preferences where you can turn off ‘Enable Setup Popups’, which should keep that from showing up….I think. It’s a new thing, and it doesn’t please me either. 

I don’t have a problem with them being presented, but if you’ve dismissed them they shouldn’t be presented again. If their presentation is a new feature, it’s at least incomplete in its current incarnation.

Further to this, their presentation location should be relegated to somewhere they cannot be mistakenly tapped. The behaviour of moving existing controls after they’ve been rendered, let alone from their expected location, make it feel like interacting with a cheap mobile game ad.

Hi folks,

@Airgetlam, thank you for your assistance.
@incorrect, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me check it for you.

Upon checking the diagnostic, I can see that there's no voice service enabled on your Sonos devices. However, I see that your Sonos speakers are connecting to 2 different IP addresses. 

Let me suggest the following basic troubleshooting steps to see if this would work for you.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.

• Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
  • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
  • Force close the Sonos app from all your iOS devices.
  • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

I after rebooting your network and Sonos devices, you're still experiencing the same on the Sonos app,  I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device to further check on this. Also, please provide your full network setup including the make and model for each device when you contact them.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

This thread is specifically related to functionality of the iOS app, which if affected by my local network topology or configuration points to a much larger systemic failure. Regardless, I’ve already spent an inordinate quantity of time attempting to fix an unrelated problem prior to the diagnostic submission above, with my troubleshooting methodology including at least the steps outlined above. None of this testing has affected the behaviour reported above.

This issue is wholly within the realm of the team developing the iOS app. Their code is not recording or respecting the dismissal of an intrusive and unwanted pop-in.

Hi @incorrect, thank you for your response and your feedback is highly appreciated. 

Thanks for your patience while working through this. We appreciate the time and effort you've spent troubleshooting with us, and we feel it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

You may reach our Sonos Customer Care support to help you out on this.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.