iOS 8 Home Kit Integration

Userlevel 3
Badge
Apple have just released into BETA Home Kit. This is a selection of dev tools to help integrate smart home products together. Hopefully plans are coming together to integrate this into the iOS app. It would be interesting to see what users think to this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

+1 for this
I'm anxious to supplement my smart home with networked audio. It'll be a large investment; I have about 13 rooms to outfit, either by integrating existing equipment or adding new. Although Sonos is my top choice for today's options, I'm holding out for whomever comes to market with HomeKit compatibility first. Speaking commands to my wrist is a convenience I'm now accustom and addicted to. I'm really surprised Sonos hasn't indicated any plans to get on board, I imagine the consumer demand is huge. Amazon's Echo doesn't cut it for applications I intend, plus Alexa has a hard time hearing commands correctly if at all over the music it's generating (I've heard it in action at friends' homes). Come on Sonos - listen to your potential customers.
+1 Me
+1 Wife
If sonos doesn't listen to this thread, another supplier will. Please keep up sonos!

From another loyal customer!
+1 for HomeKit integration
+1 for Sonos HomeKit integration
As a special chip is required, Sonos could introduce a new bridge like Philips hue has done.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
+1 for HomeKit integration

+1
+1 from me too
+1 for me!
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
+1 for HomeKit. I use it all the time to turn on/off my hue lights. I usually want to change a Sonos station at the same time. It would be great to be able to do this with another voice command. Or even better just ask for a single "scene" that tunes lights and music with one command.
+1 from me
It would be awesome to be able to control Sonos via HomeKit and Siri and it would save Sonos leading position in multi room solutions
+1 ... Do this an I'll buy more speakers. 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
+1
Please add HomeKit integration sonos.
I have spent a lot on sonos and would spend more of you have this feature!!
Badge +2
Now that Apple and Sonos have played nice with Apple Music, i hope the next project they collaborate on is HomeKit Integration.
+1 Please add this!!
+1 I would love to see it .. using my apple watch to turn on my favorite radio station in the morning while heading to the coffee maker ... 😉
+1 Using all Sonos systems in 8 rooms and are sorting out full HomeKit Automation - love Siri's integration and that with Sonos would simply be a killer.
Userlevel 2
I currently have 3 sonos speakers (play3, 2 connects) controlled by homekit using homebridge. All you can really do with it is start and stop the speakers, which will play the last channel it was playing. You can't group, you can't switch channels, you can't forward to the next song. still, I have been using it to play around with homekit. I currently have my main speakers play when I come home. I have it play in the morning when I wake up.

You can control volume (kind-of) by programming the device in a homekit app. I use MyTouchHome and Eve. I can tell siri to "turn down dining room speakers", which sets the volume to 25% (I think volume is "brightness" to the device). I say "turn up the dining room speakers" and it turns it to 50%. I say "turn up the dining room speakers again" and it puts it to 75%. And I have that for all 3 of my speaker setups.

It was fairly quick to setup, but I am also in the IT field, so understand how to read and write JSON which is the way homebridge is configured for devices.

All in all, it's a fun start. Homekit is still a little flaky itself, but controlling my sonos speakers makes me happy.

Links:
homebridge:
https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge
sonos plugin:
https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge-sonos

You can find more detailed instructions at http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/12/18/control-nest-with-apple-watch-homekit-siri-homebridge/
Just adding my +1 here, HomeKit support would be amazing.
+1 for thiso

I also would like to see this integration very much! And the comment "I'm anxious to supplement my smart home with networked audio....It'll be a large investment; ....Although Sonos is my top choice for today's options, I'm holding out for whomever comes to market with HomeKit compatibility first. Speaking commands to my wrist is a convenience I'm now accustom and addicted to. I'm really surprised Sonos hasn't indicated any plans to get on board, I imagine the consumer demand is huge. Amazon's Echo doesn't cut it for applications I intend....Come on Sonos - listen to your potential customers." definitely deserves a comment Sonos reps.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
+1 for HomeKit bridge
Another useful feature is that HomeKif scenes can be toggled from iOS control center, when swiping up from bottom. Also the ATV remote Siri button can be used to control HomeKit devices.