Skip to main content

Almost exactly a year ago I posted this same question on this forum. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/topic/show?tid=6863655&postid=16569705

The suggested answer, which worked, involved being sure that TV Auoplay was selected in the Beam settings.

What incited the problem last year was playing music via AirPlay from my Mac.

Now, a year later, it has happened again. I played some music from my Mac on the Sonos using AirPlay. 

My Dish Remote suddenly stopped controlling the volume coming from the LG TV via HDMI ARC to the Sonos Beam.

This time, TV AutoPlay was already on.

The only way I can controlled the Sonos volume is with the LG TV remote.

I would appreciate any suggestions re how I can return control of the Dish to TV volume to the Dish remote.

Clearly, something about playing music via AirPlay to the Sonos disrupts something in this complex Dish-LG TV-Sonos ecosystem!

TIA again

Caroline

Hi @dukiebluedoc 

Thanks for your post!

I’m not familiar with Dish Hopper, but it seems likely the remote would control the volume of your Beam via CEC, which is handled by the TV. Please try disabling and re-enabling SimpLink in the TV’s settings.

Rebooting the TV by unplugging it from power for a couple of minutes may also help.

Another possibility is that the remote was transmitting InfraRed, but after a firmware update may need to be told to transmit IR again - this is only likely if you have already done so in the past.

Note that when playing AirPlay, the Beam is no longer acting as a sound-bar and will therefore no longer listen to CEC volume commands on the HDMI cable. If the Beam is not switched back to playing the TV source, it will continue to ignore the remote. IR remote commands will still work when playing music.

If none of this works, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.

Turns out that the fix for the volume problem involved Dish remote settings, not the Sonos. Possibly due to a recent update, the Dish remote’s volume and mute buttons were set to control an auxiliary device and not the TV (all sound to the Sonos comes via HDMI ARC from the TV to the Sonos.)

Restoring those functions to the Dish remote in the Dish Menu settings for the remote fixed the problem.

Next time I will start by looking at the Dish remote settings first!

Caroline

Hi @dukiebluedoc 

I’m glad to hear you got it sorted out - thanks for updating the thread!