Answered

How to set up multiple Spotify accounts

• 20 November 2022
  • 14 replies

Hi - new to Sonos (just got a Sonos One!).

This is probably a basic question, but can’t figure it out. I set up the Sonos One very easily. I downloaded the Sonos app and added my Spotify account.

So far, so good. However, I’d like to add my kids’ Spotify accounts to the Sonos One too. They have their own Spotify logins and their own devices.

When I try to add another Spotify account on the Sonos app, it just tries to add my own (existing) account. I then get an error message saying that the account already exists.

Anyone have any ideas what I’m doing wrong? I thought I may have to add the Sonos app to each of my kids accounts (logging in as myself on the Sonos app) - but is that necessary?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by John B 20 November 2022, 22:19

View original

14 replies

On each of their phones add the Sonos app, making sure to connect to existing system.

Then use each phone to add the relevant Spotify account. 

Each controller can be set to default to the associated Spotify account.  But everyone can access every Spotify account if so minded. 

Thanks for your reply. Do I log into the same Sonos account on each phone, or does everyone need their own account?

Each device has the same Sonos account, but different ‘default’ Spotify accounts.

Yes just one Sonos account. If the kids don't know the Sonos account password they won't be able to change settings.  Which I think would be a good plan...…

Edit; after adding each Spotify account to the system you will need to reset the app (in App Preferences), then connect to existing system, then select the default Spotify account 

(This is to lock the Settings behind the account password on that particular controller)

This solution no longer works.   My girlfriend and I are logged into the same sonos network using my account, however we both have a spotify joint account.  

I am able to log into MY Spotify account, however when she tries to add hers by clicking “add service” and then directing to Spotify, there’s no option to add a second account as I am already logged in.  

That’s a bit strange, as I used this method just last week - and it seemed to work fine.

1. Downloaded the Sonos app on the second phone and logged in on my account
  2. Added a new Spotify account - this then showed alongside my Spotify account on the Sonos app on both phones

Try logging out of all Spotify accounts on all devices. 

Your girlfriend might also try uninstalling the Sonos app on her device, powering off and on then reinstalling the app. She must then connect to your existing system and log in to your Sonos account.. Then try to add her Spotify account. 

No guarantees.

Btw. When you say that "there is no option to add a second account because I already logged in" I don't really know what that means. Do you mean Spotify doesn't appear in the list of available services? If so how do you know that is because you are logged in?

There are two distinct login credentials available?

Okay, we finally figured out how to make it work.  

We each logged out of Spotify on our phones.  I logged in first, but then it showed my spotify account on her phone.  She clicked “add music service” → Spotify → Add to Sonos → Add to Spotify. 

That appears to be what had already been described, but glad you managed to "figure it out".

That appears to be what had already been described, but glad you managed to "figure it out".

Not quite.  The “instructions” didn’t actually describe what you had to do, which is to completely log out of existing Spotify account and then each log back in.  Only then did the “solution” actually work.   

Question for anyone using multiple Spotify accounts on a single Sonos system: when you are in “Browse” you can pick which spotify account to use - that works fine. If you save playlists from more than one Spotify account into your “My Sonos” favorites list, does the Spotify “account” that you used to save it become the account that gets used when you play that playlist from your My Sonos screen?

I’m asking because so far that doesn’t seem to be my experience, and when my kids pick one of their playlists from My Sonos the songs that get played seem to impact my Spotify algorithms, which is terrible! :)

If they use Browse and go into their Spotify account that obviously doesn’t happen. Just curious if anyone knows how to control which Spotify account gets used when you select a playlist from My Sonos.

Thanks!

jtf

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Question for anyone using multiple Spotify accounts on a single Sonos system: when you are in “Browse” you can pick which spotify account to use - that works fine. If you save playlists from more than one Spotify account into your “My Sonos” favorites list, does the Spotify “account” that you used to save it become the account that gets used when you play that playlist from your My Sonos screen?

I’m asking because so far that doesn’t seem to be my experience, and when my kids pick one of their playlists from My Sonos the songs that get played seem to impact my Spotify algorithms, which is terrible! :)

If they use Browse and go into their Spotify account that obviously doesn’t happen. Just curious if anyone knows how to control which Spotify account gets used when you select a playlist from My Sonos.

Thanks!

jtf

A Favorite from a music service includes an identifier determining which account it came from. I’m not sure if a Sonos Playlist of shortcuts does though, and I am away from my system so cannot check. Sounds like it may not from what you have said. (Assuming S2, I am not sure if S1 tagged items like this).

One fix could be to use Spotify playlists instead, which ARE associated with an account.

I have both Spotify accounts (from our Spotify family premium plan) set up in the app.  We almost exclusively use the Amazon Alexa functionality to control our Sonos.  I would like certain Sonos speakers to default to using certain Spotify accounts.  For example, for the Sonos Roam in my daughter’s room, I want her to use her Spotify account via an Alexa command (or Sonos Voice if that works better).  She doesn’t have a phone and has limited iPad access so the voice control is critical.  

Is there a way to set that Sonos Roam speaker (and not our other Sonos speakers in other rooms) to default to a specific Spotify account?  Or is there an Alexa or Sonos Voice command that would direct the Sonos speaker to the correct Spotify account (such as “Alexa, play Taylor Swift on Marin’s Spotify”)?