Skip to main content
My friend convinced me to buy Sonos, and he showed me how to get music streaming to it. But he likes to mess with people. So every time he's over at my house now, he changes the music stream from his phone - just to fluster everyone.

I've changed the Sonos password online (i.e. from a Windows computer, via web browser, log in to sonos.com and change my Sonos profile password). As I recall, that's the same password I used during the Sonos speaker setup.

But after changing that password and restarting the Sonos Mobile app on my phone, I am still able to access my Sonos system without being prompted for a new password.

How do I lock my prankster friend out of Sonos while still allowing him to use WiFi when he's at my house?
There is nothing in the system that will allow you to do that.

Once solution would be to set up a guest network in your home, and give him access to that, while maintaining your own access, and Sonos', on the private network.
Jeez, he has sacrificed the right to use your wifi. Change your network password. If you really must allow him, enable the guest network on your router, if it has one, and give hime access to that only.
I agree with the others. The best way to go is probably to set up a guest network for people to use that isn't on your main wireless spectrum. If you don't want to tell him, you can set up a guest network with the same credentials as the current network he has access to, and then adjust the wireless network to use a different (hidden if you want to go really stealthy) SSID.

If you have Sonos on your wireless network, and not using a Boost or other wired device, you'll need to wire one in temporarily to change the wireless credentials. But once that's sorted out, you can worry free use your Sonos without your friend being able to mess with things.

Or... you could talk to your friend and say how much this behavior upsets you and your other guests and kindly remind him that he's a also guest in your home and that the wireless is a privilege and not a right.
Thank you, Ryan S, Airgetlam, and John B for your replies. Especially Ryan, for the heads up:

"If you have Sonos on your wireless network, and not using a Boost or other wired device, you'll need to wire one in temporarily to change the wireless credentials."

Yep, I would've found myself in a pickle without that info, because I don't have a Boost, and yes, my Sonos *is* on WiFi.

That being said, changing the WiFi password on 13 devices + the Sonos system itself doesn't exactly thrill me.

I'd still like to see if this can be a feature request. It seems a little odd to me that I am required to set up a Sonos Online Account Password, and use it during the setup of my hardware and any Mobile device that I later want to use to control Sonos...but later on, changing it in the Online Account doesn't trigger a required change on any other devices with the Sonos App. It just feels like a strange disconnect. Maybe I'm being paranoid - buy that doesn't mean they're not after me!

Here's the reason my Guest WiFi isn't available. I had to disable it in order to get Sonos to set up properly. That was just the first 6 hours of my experience with Sonos setup that eventually took 4 more hours with Sonos Support (who were great!).

But I'm not in any hurry to re-enable that feature. I don't want the extra signal cluttering up the airwaves in my house. The more competing WiFi signal you have - the more dropped packets you risk. Fine for web browsing, but not for streaming.

I'll just filter my friend's MAC the next time he's at the house. Believe it or not - that will actually make him happy.