Skip to main content

Hi, I have a complicated Sonos setup involving a Playbar, a Beam, two Play 1s, a Play 3 and a Symfonisk lamp, all in different rooms of the house. The Playbar and Beam are at opposite ends of the house wired by ethernet cable into an ethernet switch that go to the same router at the front of the house (we only have one router, though do have a WiFi booster at the back of the house kicking out a different SSID).

I’ll paste the system details below. But basically I want to be able to delete the Wifi settings from the Sonos controller so that it forces all the Sonos devices to use Sonosnet - I’m having problems with the Play 1 which is in the bedroom (the WM=1 device below). More than 50% of the times I try to do anything with it I get an error message - either ‘cannot connect’ or the ‘cannot add to queue’ messages. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be using Sonosnet (the wired Beam is in the room directly below) so I think there must be a conflict somewhere.

The Play 3 in the kitchen is the only other speaker using the Wifi connection, rather than Sonosnet, which is also odd because it is about 5 metres away from the wired Playbar and 5 metres in the other direction from the Dining Room Play 1, both of which are WM=0 and working perfectly.

To delete the Wifi settings held on the controller, the official Sonos help guide says:

“On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Networks. Select the WiFi network you'd like to remove, and tap Remove.”

However, the Wifi network on this page says ‘In use’ and is not clickable, so can’t be deleted.

Hoping a clever person can help point me in the right direction

Here’s the system deets …

Associated Product: 192.168.1.21
---------------------------------
Playbar: Back room
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-12-4B-BB:6
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 12.2.1 (build 61183170)
Hardware Version: 1.9.1.10-2.0
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 192.168.1.18
Audio In:
WM: 0
OTP:
Play:1: Bedroom
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-47-4E-A6:7
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.1.10
WM: 1
OTP:
Play:1: Dining room
Serial Number: 78-28-CA-6D-0A-04:2
Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-2.1
Series ID: A200
IP Address: 192.168.1.13
Play:3: Kitchen
Serial Number: B8-E9-37-D5-4E-72:1
Hardware Version: 1.8.1.3-2.1
IP Address: 192.168.1.6
WM: 1
OTP:
Beam: Lounge
Serial Number: 34-7E-5C-96-B1-A8:9
Hardware Version: 1.23.1.10-2.2
IP Address: 192.168.1.21
Audio In:
SYMFONISK Table lamp: Toby's room
Serial Number: 78-28-CA-81-0C-A4:E
Hardware Version: 1.20.2.3-2.0
IP Address: 192.168.1.16

Sometimes units get stuck on WiFi when they shouldn’t. Power cycle them to start with. If they don’t revert to SonosNet then factory reset just the offending units and re-add them.

You could help them choosing Sonosnet if you turn off the offending wifi on the router for the time you power cycle the device.

Thanks both, for your responses. I managed to delete the Wifi settings from the controller ( I had to unplug the two units that were WM=1 in order for the app to let me delete the Wifi). But after a factory reset the Kitchen Play 3 does not appear in My System after setup. The app suggests a power cycle to kick it in to appearing, but this didn’t work.

The app’s final step is to suggest plugging in a network cable ‘to update software’ which I have done, and it appears and works fine, of course. But then when I remove the cable it disappears again. Even after multiple power cycles. It’s as if the SonosNet is ignoring it. (Or it is not being ‘found’ by SonosNet).

Is it possible that the unit has a fault that means it cannot connect to SonosNet (even though it can connect direct to router via WiFi OK)?

But after a factory reset the Kitchen Play 3 does not appear in My System after setup.

So, to be clear, you added it okay but it now disappears when wireless? You haven’t gone into its room settings and disabled “WiFi” by any chance? (This does no such thing; in fact it stops the radio from connecting to SonosNet.)

Hi ratty, yes I added the Play 3 OK through the app (wirelessly). Then had a message to say that I would probably need to power cycle it in order for it to appear in My System. So I did. But it still doesn;t appear.

I didn’t even know where the setting was to enable/disable Wifi. But I had a play around and found it in Kitchen=>Products=>Play 3 … But it was already enabled. I toggled it off, then on again (while I was wired), just to see if it would make a difference. But it hasn’t. Soon as I unplugged it, it disappeared again. And I’ve power cycled and factory reset it half a dozen times now. I’ve set it up both wired and wirelessly now, to see if it would make a difference. The only time it appears in My System is when it is either has the network cable in, or when it is connected using WiFi.

It is baffling as it is just 4/5 metres away from two Sonos units. (A wired PlayBar and a Play 1 on SonosNet.)

See if the Play:3’s radio is still alive. Whilst it’s wired, go to http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/proc/ath_rincon/status. See if it shows anything. Get the x.x.x.x IP address from Settings/System/About My System. 

Thanks so much for your almost-live helpdesking!

This is the log:

contents of /proc/ath_rincon/statusDebug info for INFRA mode at 6911Mode: INFRA (sonosnet)Operating on channel 2437Home channel is 2437RF Chains: RX:3 TX:3RF Chainmask: RX:0x07 TX:0x07Max Spatial Streams: RX:3 TX:3Noise Floor: -108 dBm (chain 0 ctl)Noise Floor: -111 dBm (chain 1 ctl)Noise Floor: -107 dBm (chain 2 ctl)PHY errors since last reading/reset: 3975355     OFDM ANI level: 6Ch11 Spur Immunity Level: 0HAL Reset Failures: cnt: 0 last: 0Region: 2

Is that it?? The wireless is alive but it’s simply not seeing any another Sonos devices at all.

You did add it to your existing system following the factory reset? You didn’t by chance set it up as a new system all on its own? 

Yes, that’s it! And no, I definitely didn’t set it up as a new system.

In case it helps, I ran that same debug log on the two nearest Sonos units.

Play One (wireless) in Dining Room (about 5/6 metres away)

and

PlayBar (wired) in back room (about 4/5 metres away)

They don’t see the Play:3 either. I believe it is a different system. One possible clue: the Play:3 is on channel 6, whereas your main system is on ch 1. 

(To be really sure, go to http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/zp on the Play:3 and on the Playbar and see if the HouseholdControlID is different. Do not paste the results here.)

Power the Play:3 off. Leave it wired.

Reset your controller app. Restart it and add it to the existing system. Check all looks okay.

Power the Play:3 up in factory reset and add it.

The HouseholdControlID is the same for all three devices, so does that mean the Play:3 is not on a different system?

I will try the further steps here later on tonight and report back later on. Thanks so much for helping me this far ...

@Smoff, Probably the wireless card of the Play:3 is faulty. Submit a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number; a technician will get back to you.

Thanks @Smilja 

The confirmation no is: 39387274

It could be a faulty wireless card. Something is clearly amiss since it’s not tuning to the correct SonosNet channel.  It doesn’t even appear to have the correct home channel. 

Actually @Smilja , this second diagnostic report might be better as I forgot my other Play:1 in Bedroom was not powered on.

Confirmation no: 985090412

(I am having same problem with this Bedroom speaker not appearing in My System when I try to force it onto SonosNet - again should be no problems in terms of distance from other devices on SonosNet.)

Two wireless cards going bad at the same time sounds like a stretch. Something doesn’t add up...

Could the Play:3 here have perhaps been setup on a different WiFi access point operating on a different channel etc - perhaps try switching off any ‘other’ access points and see if the device (on reboot) then connects back to the Household over SonosNet.

@Ken_Griffiths I do have an extra Wifi AP to serve the back of the house (it’s a narrow, but long terrace). But seeing as this AP is connected via cable to the main router in the front, I thought for Sonos purposes they would all be treated as the same network.

Does it matter which of the two Wifi APs my phone is connected to when I am using the Sonos controller to set up the devices after factory reset? Obviously my phone will routinely switch wifi networks as I walk around the house, but I thought Sonos was indifferent to this due to having its own mesh network.

So I’m unsure of how to make sure the Play:1 and Play:3 that I’m having trouble with are set up using the ‘correct’ AP, as I’m not sure which one is ‘correct’ and which one is the ‘other’. The PlayBar in the back of the house is hardwired via an ethernet switch to the main router. And the Beam in the front of the house is hardwired straight into the main router.

Should I factory reset both problem speakers, take them to the front room, and set them up using ethernet cable directly into main router? Then take them back to the rooms they’re supposed to be in and hope that they connect to SonosNet wirelessly?

Which AP doesn’t matter. The phone connects into the subnet either way. 

Did you follow my earlier suggestion here (the second bit)?

@ratty No I’ve not had chance yet, have to stay by laptop for work for another hour - but will definitely try your suggestion later on and report back - thanks!

@ratty I think I've cracked it. Well, the controller reset didn't work but your suggestion on the SonosNet channel got me thinking. The Play: 1 and Play:3 disappeared when I took network cable out, so I changed the SonosNet channel for whole system to 6, which made the two missing speakers magically appear. Then I changed whole system back to 1 (as WiFi analyser said it was best channel) and it all seems to be working fine, and all speakers are WM=0. Hurray!

Thanks to all for your help.

Good that you got it figured it out.

I have actually seen this type of behaviour once or twice, when I changed the SonosNet channel while some units were powered off. When they subsequently powered up they were apparently marooned on the old channel.