Skip to main content

So I’ve tried playing hi-res (ALAC) files on Amp and Move after the S2 upgrade. Files up to 24/48 play back fine. 24/96 and 24/192 bizarrely play back in super-slow-mo; sounds like manually turning an LP very slowly. Under S1, these files just wouldn’t play at all.

Hi-res still plays back fine using Roon, but everything is still being downsampled to 16/48. Makes me wonder if the hardware actually supports 24-bit or if Sonos if just truncating the lower 8 bits.

Anyway, was hoping for native hi-res support but I’m happy to continue using Roon. I prefer the interface anyway.

They support 25/48 not24/96 or 24/192

Hi, I can play 24/44 but anything higher gives a ‘unable to play unsupported sample rate’. If it is indeed playing 24/44 it’s a start.

@Sonorous 

Doesn’t Roon automatically downsample to Sonos supported rates? My Roon does this and I never explicitly configured it to do so. 

Not sure if there if there is a manual configuration of the rate on Roon or if Roon needs to somehow determine if you have S1 or S2 and resample accordingly - which would require a software update. 

Correct, Roon automatically downsamples to the highest supported rate, but after the S2 upgrade it is still downsampling all 24-bit to 16-bit.

I’m not sure if Roon needs to be upgraded to support the latest S2 capabilities or if my hardware doesn’t support 24-bit natively. I tried with an Amp and a Move which are both pretty recent hardware wise. I would be interested to see what results you would get streaming from Roon to an Arc.

AFAIK, there’s no way to tell whether the Sonos app is actually streaming 24-bit or dithering to 16-bit.

I don’t think Sonos will currently accept a 24bit stream from Roon, Only from a local FLAC file.