Skip to main content

We have had the poor experience (many times) of grouping a room only to blast our ears out. 

Our Living Room has Bar/Sub/One/One and we connect it through our entertainment center.  There are various volume controls at play and sometimes the Sonos Volume in the Living Room is left fairly high. 

The next morning… we are playing music through a One in a different room and we decide to group the Living Room… with volume still high, music is Very loud and possibly damaging to a person sitting in there.   

Questions:  Are there any settings that would reset volume to something like 10% on any newly grouped room?  Or even any settings that would allow volume limits based on Input?  Our entertainment center is generally quiet, our turntable (via Sonos Port) is really quiet, Music is REALLY LOUD. 

I have a sizable investment in Sonos speakers but I am finding it difficult to manage all the various volume levels across my 7 rooms.  It seems unreasonable that a user would need to visit every room and pre-adjust volume levels before grouping them.   Really wishing the Sonos software came with these features.

A couple points.  First, the issue isn’t really specific to grouping.   Along the same lines as your example, you could wake up in the morning and decide to play music directly in the living room.  If you don’t change the volume before beginning playback, living room will play at the high volume it was set at last night.

One work around is to set an alarm to set the volume at a specified time.  Some users have setup an audio file with no volume to play every night at a set lower volume, effectively resetting the speakers every night.  I don’t do this myself, so may have the details off.  I do actually use an alarm set in a different application to play a radio station every weekend day morning, so I have somewhat of a modified solution to this.

If Sonos were to do something like this, I’m not exactly sure what form it would take.  Perhaps you could configure ‘volume reset’ times throughout the day for specific rooms.  Or setup timers to reset the volume after a certain period of science.  I can see both options being beneficial depending on how people use their systems.

Thanks Danny.  I will look into alarms but its not always set a time-of-day thing.   

My ideas for a grouping setting would be:

• Set volume of newly grouped rooms to specified %
  • Set volume of newly grouped rooms to lowest grouped room level

My idea for Source specific volume limits:

• Music = Max Volume @ 50%
  • TV = Max Volume @ 80%
  • Turntable = Max Volume @ 100%

But really the grouping setting would be better and solve my problems

Hi @MRussett 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You can set maximum volumes for each room by following the steps on our Setting a volume limit on Sonos products help page.

Additionally, you may find it beneficial to adjust your Port’s line-in source level, as shown in our Adjust Line-In settings help page. Your turntable should also have it’s pre-amp turned on.

As for setting the volume during the grouping process, I’ll mark this thread as a feature request which will get it seen by the right people - it sounds like a good idea!