Skip to main content
I have been using a Play 5 with a Chromecast audio in the aux input to cast audio from my Android phone for a while now, recently casting services like Spotify and iplayer have stopped working - possibly because Google Chrome / Spotify / Sonos app are fighting for control?

To give a couple of examples:

If I open the Spotify app I can cast to the Sonos but after a little while control via the Spotify app stops working (the audio keeps playing but I am unable to play / pause etc) if I try to play a new track via Spotify it either plays through my phone or gives a message that another device is already casting and force quitting the Spotify app seems to be the only solution.

In a similar way casting from the iPlayer radio app works for a few seconds but then the audio disappears, this time I can get audio control back by going into Sonos and stopping / starting the line in source.

I have a feeling that this is all caused by a recent update to google home as this is now showing more information than before (things like the the track playing and what app/receiver is being used) but I am not sure as the Sonos and Spotify app have updated in the last couple of weeks too.

Has anyone else noticed similar issues after a recent update?
Google home has updated with chromecasts as well. As I now get an audible "GPM is being used on another device" come thro the chromecast when someone else in the house uses GPM, we only have 1user version so we have to fight over the stream ;O)

It might be a sensitivity thing with your network, or you controller going to sleep causing it to think it is already casting a stream, then asks for another stream..just a guess.