Skip to main content
Well, it's been 6 years and was already looking forward to the ceiling speakers, something I had been waiting for a loong time. I would have gotten a Beam if it hadn't had a listening device on it. I never minded the software glitches, since it happens and as long as they are worked out eventually, then it's cool. But your last trick is definitely the sign that Sonos has become the kind of shady company a customer wants to avoid.

I updated the Sonos controller on my phone and guess what? I can no longer use the Sonos product unless I update my OPERATING SYSTEM (ie if I replace my phone). Basically, Sonos is telling me that I am not good enough to use the product that I BOUGHT. Just go buy a new phone you poor bastard. Well talk about a totally unnecessary move. The product worked fine 5 minutes ago and if I miss on the updates then too bad, but DISABLING the product? I don't have enough F words to throw at you for such a move.

Sorry Sonos, but if you think you're too good for me, or I am not good enough for you, then it's a sign we need to part ways.
I feel your pain, and you are not alone.

I can't believe that they removed functionality from a WORKING desktop application, just so they can steer everyone down the mobile application route in order to grab more information from their users. Despicable. And holding people to ransom for their usage data by withholding functionality simply reeks of desperation.

I spent the last 30 minutes researching the Bl**Sound products and it's likely I'll heading there, unless D*non have something up their sleeve that I haven't spotted yet. The Ahamay products also look very good value, however the TuneIn functionality seems to be lacking in M*sicCast.

Well done Sonos. Apple, you are not.

Well done Sonos. Apple, you are not.
Well at least that's one positive. I cannot abide the planned obsolesence of Apple products.
Why the asterisks and alternative spelling? Sonos doesn't delete posts that mention other products. They welcome the competition. Which should tell you something about the competition, like:

Bluesound - bad app, low sales.

Denon - Sued by Sonos, low sales.

Yamaha - On their 3rd (or is it 4th?) version of multi-room streamers, each one before has failed miserably.
I totally agree ! I have been a really early Sonos user with the wonderful dedicated Sonos controller that would wake up when picked and offer directly the music page. I was unhappy when it got discontinued (i.e. when one day you get a message that says; sorry, the controller that you bought for $179 has been disabled by software), and I bought an iPod as a replacement.

A few days ago, the same thing happened : The sonos app requies OS 10.0 or more, Apple does only provide 9.3 for iPod, thus I can throw my iPod away.

I have spent thousands of dollars over Sonos products and been a strong advocate for Sonos, but this is too much.

Using my iPhone is much less convenient than having a dedicated iPod, which was already less convenient than the specialized controller.