Skip to main content

Over the past month or so, I've encountered several small but frequent issues with Spotify through Sonos. This is primarily but not exclusively when I use the Spotify app (I dislike the Sonos app).

Includes things like:

-When I start to play a podcast, it automatically jumps to another, completely unrelated podcast (not even the next one in a queue, or anything as sort-of logical as that). This will happen repeatedly. Eventually I can usually brute force it into playing the one I want but I can't identify the fix.

-An album (not on shuffle) will simply stop playing at the end of, say, the third song. Or fifth. Or whatever. The completion bar remains near the end of the song and when I hit play, it will replay the song that just finished rather than move to the next.

-No sound. A song or album will show as playing through the correct speakers in both Spotify and the Sonos app. Except it's not actually playing (maybe on some secret frequency the dog can hear- I'll ask her).

-Sudden shift between speakers. What was playing in one room will suddenly move to another room.

I'm going to contact support but as these all happen randomly and with varying degrees of frequency, just curious if anyone has experienced the same or similar and has a trick that I can attempt before doing so.

ETA- these things don’t happen when I listen to Spotify through headphones, so I am assuming that they are largely Sonos-related (or rather, not Bluetooth related).

@Master of the Flyin Guillotine,

More detail is really needed here before some suggestions can be made.

There are three types of ‘connection’ when playing audio from the Spotify App to Sonos speakers when using say an iPhone/iPad, eg. Bluetooth, Airplay or ‘Connect’ (Sonos API) - can you clarify which method you are using, as it might then allow for some suggestions you can perhaps try to solve your issue?

Note if using ‘Connect’ it is entirely different from a Bluetooth connection to Headphones, so the headphones playback may not be relevant and also note the Spotify App is still using Airplay v1, whereas Sonos products use Airplay v2 and so a ‘Connect’ (API) connection may prove more successful, but that depends on the reliability of the local network. It may help here too if you perhaps detail your network a little, such as…

• Make/model of router?
  • Other WiFi access points?
  • Wifi channels in use/Channel-width?
  • If System is running on S1 or S2 setup?
  • If using SonosNet and how many devices wired and where to (distance of wired device from nearest AP)?
  • If using SonosNet - if you have chosen to retain the WiFi credentials on your devices?
  • Details of primary controller device used?
  • Music services used (local and/or remote)
  • Average ISP download/upload speed? 
  • Anything else you think might be relevant/helpful, like ‘managed’ switch settings etc?

@Master of the Flyin Guillotine,

More detail is really needed here before some suggestions can be made.

There are three types of ‘connection’ when playing audio from the Spotify App to Sonos speakers when using say an iPhone/iPad, eg. Bluetooth, Airplay or ‘Connect’ (Sonos API) - can you clarify which method you are using, as it might then allow for some suggestions you can perhaps try to solve your issue?

Note if using ‘Connect’ it is entirely different from a Bluetooth connection to Headphones, so the headphones playback may not be relevant and also note the Spotify App is still using Airplay v1, whereas Sonos products use Airplay v2 and so a ‘Connect’ (API) connection may prove more successful, but that depends on the reliability of the local network. It may help here too if you perhaps detail your network a little, such as…

• Make/model of router?
  • Other WiFi access points?
  • Wifi channels in use/Channel-width?
  • If System is running on S1 or S2 setup?
  • If using SonosNet and how many devices wired and where to (distance of wired device from nearest AP)?
  • If using SonosNet - if you have chosen to retain the WiFi credentials on your devices?
  • Details of primary controller device used?
  • Music services used (local and/or remote)
  • Average ISP download/upload speed? 
  • Anything else you think might be relevant/helpful, like ‘managed’ switch settings etc?

Hey- thank you for the response. To the first clarifying point, I primarily use Spotify on iOS (v16.5) and Connect. I can also provide the extra detail re: network and will pull everything together to provide at one time.

Thanks again!

With ‘Connect’ (direct API) the Spotify App introduces the stream to the speaker(s) and the audio plays direct from the Spotify servers to the speakers - so what I would try first, is setting your routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band to use a ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channel (1, 6 or 11) and set its channel-width to 20Mhz only.

If using a SonosNet connection then in the Sonos App, set its channel so it’s at least 5 channels away from the chosen router channel. Also set the wired Sonos product so it’s located at least one metre away from the router, or other WiFi access points.

With Spotify, also ensure that crossfade is switched off in the Sonos App (via ‘now playing’ screen) and see if those few things stop the Spotify audio dropouts/interruptions.