FULL spotify integration (and other 3rd parties)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@drowningman, Artist shuffle isn't available currently within the new Spotify. You can add all their songs to the Sonos queue and turn on shuffle, but there's no single button for it. I'll pass on the interest in the feature for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, great news.  Do you have an estimated timeline for full release that would include IOS?
We haven't announced a hard date for the full release. If all goes well with the Public Beta and there aren't any unforeseen delays, it should be fairly soon. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So, my Android controller is now at 5.4.29490090 after having downloaded and installed the beta. But the choices when I select Spotify are just as before, no browse or anything else that you would expect to be there. Suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So, my Android controller is now at 5.4.29490090 after having downloaded and installed the beta. But the choices when I select Spotify are just as before, no browse or anything else that you would expect to be there. Suggestions?
That's the older version of the 5.4 software, before the Spotify changes were added. Your build should be 29590161. Check for updates on your controller and you should have one available to download. If not, check the email you're registered to and see if there's a direct link to download the newer version of the controller.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ok, the first choice in the menu is "Oppdater nå" (Norwegian for "Update now"). I select that, and it says that (translated from Norwegian) "The Sonos app must be updated" and "Press the link below to update to the newest version of the Sonos-controller". I press the link, and am I taken to Sonos on the Google Play store, where I'm not offered any further update choice (presumably it recognizes that my installed version is newer than 5.3 which is the newest available through the Play store). The link available under my account / Sonos beta tab is to an APK named 29.4-90090-1-11.apk, so I am a bit lost on how to get the newer version. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The latest version for the Android beta controller can be downloaded here
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ok, thanks. I now have the correct version. However, there are no more Spotify choices than before (I've even tried to re-add the account). The five menu choices when I select Spotify are, as before: - Playlists - Starred - New releases - Favourites - Inbox
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sounds like you don't have the beta flagged for your system properly. From your account, it looks like your system isn't flagged for the public beta on the website page. Can you follow the directions here to get your system setup for the beta? After that point you can update your players and you should be all set.

Let me know if you still have trouble.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It said that "You are active" when I selected the Sonos beta tab - but, now I selected "leave" and then "join" again in the Beta program, and now the controller actually update itself as it should, so now it's working. 🙂
Two years is way too long for this feature to be implemented (is this the first official response in two years???). Interesting that this has happened once the competition has heated up for both Sonos and Spotify? I gave up waiting a couple of months ago and moved over to Google Play AA.  I've put time into migrating over to Google It does everything I needed. No chance I'm going through the drama moving back to Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There has been no wait for announcement. Sonos said from the very beginning they were not implementing spotify connect. There has been no wait. You may want spotify connect and i can understand why but they have not been ambiguous at all in he fact they were not implementing. Wow is Google working. I assume you have an android device so with Google you are dong the same as spotify connect. I went deezer for quality and locked in long term with the discount but j have heard Google has the best library (my son won't leave rhapsody though).
Having migrated away from Sonos to Spotify-connect enabled hardware, I feel the same way: I'm not going back to Sonos to a crippled Spotify implementation.
"We aren't integrating Spotify Connect at this time,..."
For a second I thought we were finally getting what we wanted i.e. Spotify connect but yet another disillusion.
I stated to work to select a Spotify connect replacement hardware to my Sonos equipment. I won't stop as I am tired to wait for Sonos which is delaying a decision they won't be able to delay forever. Competition is going to eat you!
What a shame.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
@Niall - I agree, 2 years was way too long.  Many will have switched music providers and others switched hardware - both Spotify and Sonos will have lost through out this delay.  I have a Spotify Connect enabled device (Panasonic ALL1C) connected via my Playbar as a workaround to the pi$$ poor Sonos implementation until now.  Im going to keep my Spotify Connect solution as a backup and see how the Sonos implementation now improves further.  For example if Artist and Album are not added to 'Your Music' within the following 1-2 releases then I will become nervous again it will be a further 2 years before this is solved.

Spotify Connect is not perfect.  For example it cannot support multiple streams.  Its way too easy to lose the music queue e.g. switching devices.  The artwork and labels sometime lags behind the music.  You have to work in 2 applications to handle (un)grouping and adjusting separate volumes...  However, it also has a lot going for it - its the native app so does everything the app can, can be used on way more devices if you are away from home (e.g. amazon fire TV stick, between any mobile device).

Assuming Spotify on Sonos continues to evolve to fill the functionality gaps then I think having Spotify as a music provider will give the best of both worlds. Sonos for multi-room within the home and Spotify Connect for ad-hoc use (e.g. on vacation) or as a Sonos backup if it fails again because its overloaded (Christmas!)

The irony seems that whilst Sonos has spent 2 years blaming Spotify, then we find it took Sonos to update their 'tools' to 'help our partners easily bring new features to the Sonos' and within 1 month Spotify is much improved.  Looks like Sonos were the hold up all along to me.

Im very happy so far with the new Spotify features in the beta and hope Sonos now keep up the momentum to improve it further.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
@Niall - I agree, 2 years was way too long.  Many will have switched music providers and others switched hardware - both Spotify and Sonos will have lost through out this delay.  I have a Spotify Connect enabled device (Panasonic ALL1C) connected via my Playbar as a workaround to the pi$$ poor Sonos implementation until now.  Im going to keep my Spotify Connect solution as a backup and see how the Sonos implementation now improves further.  For example if Artist and Album are not added to 'Your Music' within the following 1-2 releases then I will become nervous again it will be a further 2 years before this is solved.

Spotify Connect is not perfect.  For example it cannot support multiple streams.  Its way too easy to lose the music queue e.g. switching devices.  The artwork and labels sometime lags behind the music.  You have to work in 2 applications to handle (un)grouping and adjusting separate volumes...  However, it also has a lot going for it - its the native app so does everything the app can, can be used on way more devices if you are away from home (e.g. amazon fire TV stick, between any mobile device).

Assuming Spotify on Sonos continues to evolve to fill the functionality gaps then I think having Spotify as a music provider will give the best of both worlds. Sonos for multi-room within the home and Spotify Connect for ad-hoc use (e.g. on vacation) or as a Sonos backup if it fails again because its overloaded (Christmas!)

The irony seems that whilst Sonos has spent 2 years blaming Spotify, then we find it took Sonos to update their 'tools' to 'help our partners easily bring new features to the Sonos' and within 1 month Spotify is much improved.  Looks like Sonos were the hold up all along to me.

Im very happy so far with the new Spotify features in the beta and hope Sonos now keep up the momentum to improve it further.

Ryan S. from Sonos said in another topic that "The new features in beta with Spotify are more closely associated to the official Spotify web player" which makes me think that Sonos are using the Spotify Web API (https://developer.spotify.com/news-stories/2014/06/17/say-hello-new-web-api/), which was released by Spotify almost exactly one year ago.

If it's the case that Sonos is using the Web API, I think that Sonos can from now on, with the basic implementation already in place, pretty quickly "catch up" to Spotify.

As you are, I'm so far very pleased with the improved Spotify support, though I wouldn't mind having Connect as an option as well. 🙂
@Chris - I think many users are surprised that Sonos doesn't already have a more integrated Spotify experience. OK, they don't want to implement Spotify Connect, but no Spotify Radio until now??? We can only speculate why but I suspect it's strategic or a contractual issue rather than some technical stumbling block. It's unfortunate as it's clearly lost business for both company's (although maybe not enough for them to care until now?) and annoyed their customers. 

Yes, all our phones, tablets, TV's are Android. I got annoyed with Apple's closed eco-system. Also, had a couple of issue with our iPhones & iPads - Apple just works... until it doesn't.

I finally decided to make the jump from Spotify to Google Play AA when someone sent me a link to a promotion giving a three month trial period. There was no going back after using it for a couple of weeks and having access to the features missing in Sono's Spotify integration. I really liked Spotify as a streaming platform but not enough to keep paying a subscription when I couldn't access key features through Sonos. So in my situation - Spotify lost a family subscription and I lost an afternoon transferring over our playlists.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos said recently that some changes in Spotify's extensions available now finally allowed the additional integration.  I'm not sure how long ago Spotify made these changes but seems something had to be done on the Spotify end to make it happen and then Sonos work on changing their in app plugin.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There was a recent Variety article I read that mentioned how the home audio market is big for the various streaming services.  Devices like Sonos having access is very important to companies like Spotify in maintaining their subscription numbers.  So there is tremendous incentive for the 2 to work together.  At the same time the article call Apple short sighted in focusing new Apple Music on mobile audio and not supporting the home audio market.
Apple is in a difficult situation. It's trying to compete with streaming services while protecting the significant revenues generated from sales through iTunes. Who's going to buy a track / album when it's available on the user's subscribed streaming service?

Sonos now has some serious lower prised competition backed by huge brands. I don't mind paying more for quality products but I still expect value. In the absence of any transparency from Sonos we can blame them for the poor Spotify integration, as @Ryan S notes: Spotify's Web API went live a year ago. We should also remember that the improved Spotify integration isn't yet a production release - it's a beta. Let's hope Sonos up's it game and keeps momentum in adding feaures and improving integration with popular music services.
Help.  The Sonos-Control4 system seems to have a mind of its own.  It doesn’t seem to stick to any playlist but will mix things up.  It seems to prefer classical music to anything else. 😉 And it’s not only within the Spotify playllists interface.  It will go to another Spotify playlist even when it’s supposed to be playing itunes music.  Maybe there’s a setting we don’t know about.  We’ve tried to clear queue, Also replace queue.  Neither worked.  Advice?
Badge +1
Im sad to see that all these promised improvements are NOT to be found in the new controller update... - When do they come??
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Improvements still in beta.  There are a few issues with the new spotify (such as folders) that had issues that would cause problems if released from beta.  It is still a work in progress but I wouldn't expect it to be long before the spotify final.
Badge
It's my understanding that the folders issue is a workaround to not having full Spotify integration in the first place (please correct me if I'm wrong). Is there another issue holding up the public release of the full Spotify integration? And if not, at what point does Sonos just rip off the former band-aid and just mimic Spotify as it works in the real world?

IMHO, the people who went the trouble of making the folder work-around are the same people who will (rightfully) complain, but who will also see the benefit of and adapt the fastest to a straightforward adaptation of Spotify's actual functionality.

Let's get this sucker out the door already. Spotify is the leader in this space. I don't want to buy new hardware, but it is becoming more of a "consummable" by the minute. I need a solution that can adapt more quickly to trends in music delivery.

I don't need bleeding edge, but this is pretty ridiculous...
Badge
Ryan S? It's been two months since we heard from Sonos on this. An update would be v. much appreciated. TIA!!
Badge +1
Spotify integration (or lack of) has put a hold on me further investing in Sonos. It would be great to have an update.