Skip to main content

Just stop please. We are already within your walled garden, there is no need for the constant reminder. 

Maybe you should add here which version of App you’re using. I haven’t received any such marketing messages in a long time. I just upgraded from S1 to S2 and yes, there was ONE marketing message. That was it.

Here is another way of approaching this.  You say, ‘I really don’t like receiving marketing messages in the app.  Is there any way I can stop this?’

Then I say, ‘Yes, go into your account online and opt out of receiving them in ‘Contact Options’.

Then everyone is happy.

Just recently started getting advertising via my Sonos app. I never opted in and there is no way to opt out (checked my profile settings and can't untick the app box) - this is a direct breach of European GDPR data protection rules. I'll be reporting this directly to ico.org as this seems to not be the first time Sonos has done this. Perhaps nice big fine from the EU will stop you from abusing a captive audience who are forced to use your stupid app to run your stupid products.

Sonos - I'll report this to the ICO today. Might want to think about stopping before they give you a call with a court summons.

Just recently started getting advertising via my Sonos app. I never opted in and there is no way to opt out (checked my profile settings and can't untick the app box).

You need to click on “Edit my profile” button at the bottom right of that screen. Then you can uncheck the boxes and save your profile and stop the messages. 

Just recently started getting advertising via my Sonos app. I never opted in and there is no way to opt out (checked my profile settings and can't untick the app box).

You need to click on “Edit my profile” button at the bottom right of that screen. Then you can uncheck the boxes and save your profile and stop the messages. 

And go back to the ICO to apologise for wasting their time?

@Lfoulkes you may want to also consider opting out of the Sonos telemetry* by blocking this domain:

msmetrics.ws.sonos.com

THey also run some other xxx.ws.sonos.com domains periodically so if you use something like pihole you can ad this regex which should catch the stealth/temp data collection:

^.*metric.*\.sonos\.com$

*Sonos is upfront about the data they collect here https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/legal/privacy