Finally switched to majority-S2 - very smooth

• 9 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’ve been running a split system since S2 was a thing, with only a couple of S2 devices and everything else staying on S1. Following spousal feedback (after some S2-only devices became popular with her) I decided to finally switch everything I could to S2.

I didn’t to the general “update my whole system” because I had an existing S2 household plus I wanted absolute control over which devices went where, so I started by printing a spreadsheet of all my gear (names, ip addresses, serial #s etc) generated by one of my apps. I then went around the house to each up-gradable device, factory reset it, added it to my existing S2, then renaming it to the proper thing.

I have to say the process is damn smooth. Even crusty old devices support the custom-wifi method now, which is impressive. Near the end I realized that switching my Boost would disconnect my remaining S1 devices, so first I switched those over to WiFi, then switched the Boost over to S2. Hardest part was finding the damn button on the Boost!

I switched a Playbar, a Sub, Play:3s, Play:1s, Ones, and the Boost. Each one took a while but no issues. Left on S1 are two Play:5s and a Connect:Amp.

Nice work Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Thanks for the feedback - we’re glad you found it to be a smooth process!