Skip to main content

feedback on new app - sonos playlists and music library

• 18 May 2024
  • 8 replies

Please, please, please roll back this terrible app release.  It’s a disaster.

My chief gripes are: no access to Sonos playlists (which is how I manage my music); and my music library has disappeared (which is how I store my music).

What a dire customer experience.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 3

I agree completely.  I have spent hundreds of pounds to have Sonos speakers all around the house, purely to play music from the large library on my Windows Desktop (all ripped from CD’s that I bought).  This has disappeared completely from the Sonos App, making my investment a complete waste.  Any lawyers out there? Surely the basis for a massive Class Action suit! 

I was such a fan of Sonos, it worked beautifully (ok, a few glitches) & I used to recommend to everyone. 

Why on earth would they do this?

Same here.. I now want to sell my whole setup or just give it away - i was a very very very happy chappy until now.

Userlevel 1

i could not agree more. i have used Sonos to ply my music library and that is now lost. and the sustomer diservice department has made it worse. i called in and after being on hold for over an hour was told that the fix was to call Apple and Dell to change some settings.

i wrote in and recieved a response to call back and they would help. i called in after waiting 1 ½ hours i gave up.

i’d love for Sonos to buy back the 9 units i have for my house.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Here's my adventure on the latest Android version 80.02.06 as of this morning on June 7 2024.

• When launched, the entire screen is blacked out, seemingly like it's trying to load and refresh. But nothing ever comes of it.
  • My Sonos favorites always put Sonos radio first, no matter how many times I specify that Pandora is my preferred station.
  • My shared libraries are nowhere to be found.
  • I'll close out of the app, come back to it 5 mins later, and everything is the same, EXCEPT it now shows my shared library!
  • The shared library can be browsed through and plays music to the assigned speaker. Will need to try search as I don't think I saw that interacting with the library yet.

All in all, the app continues to feel like an unfinished beta. Sometimes it works, other times all your speakers just disappear. Can't express enough how frustrating the UX is with this app.

I can’t get to my music library on my WD NAS either with the new IOS app.

funny thing is:

1.  When I first got the new app there was no access or settings.
  2. i went away last weekend, and after some delay 15mins the app was able to playback from my library 
  3. there was an iOS in update this week and after the update I am no longer able to access my music library.

i agree this feels like a beta.  In retro Sonos should have offered the new app as a option until they had the music library issue fixed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I have the new app on two android devices, my phone and my tablet. 

It works great!!!. 

Only JOKING!!! HAHAHA. It’s total PANTS.

• It always says it can’t find my system when I re-open the app so it only find anything if I remove it from background and start it again
  • It has lost sight of my Roam speaker. Recommendation is to factory reset - which I am not prepared to do as I think it is unreasonable given a) it was there and b) might come back because items have come and gone before.
  • Of the four home panels Recently Played and Sonos Favourites are blank most of the time. I can open the Music Library but not sure what it is looking at - apart from Folders which points at my local network drive. The Imported Playlists look like file names and so far I have not been able to find any link within that will actually play anything. (I had hoped to see my old Sonos playlists - but they don’t look as if they are those). 
  • As above, I have lost all my old playlists. Where have they gone??? And can't create new ones.
  • As far as I can see the old functionality of choose at track (or set of tracks), add to queue, save to or create as playlist not longer exists since none of the component functions appear to exist. E.G. can't play a track, there is no obvious queue, there is not way to create or edit a playlist. (Correction: I just found the queue. But I can’t see any way to edit or save it).
  • In most instances where there are option buttons (...) they just open an empty panel. EG next to a track in the queue. 
  • When I select an album and then a single track from the album listing it replaces the whole queue with the full album. (Just found that one).

I see that the app has been getting updates quite frequently over the past couple of weeks. Unfortunately I have not noticed any improvement in its operation. 

Meanwhile, Sonos continue to bombard my email with daily ads for their equipment which, under the circumstances, I find quite annoying.

Please please roll back - can't access plylists nor my own music!!!

What is the point of the system if I can't do that!!

Been loyal customer for 10yrs but if you don't sort this soon will be looking for a replacement technology and service - anyone got any good alternatives to Sonos?

This new app is terrible.  Everytime I open it it makes me login.  Then after I login again it tells me it cannot connect.  So kill the app completely and then the app connects but shows nothing playing on the speakers.  I kill the app again and finally everything comes up.   

This process is daily!  Roll back the update!