Skip to main content

I’ve also sent these suggestions to Sonos but wondering what others are wishing for with the big S2 update. I’ve read Sonos’ S2 press release and what few new features mentioned in the press release sound great I think some of my suggestions could make S2 the gold standard OS for streaming music. With this in mind most of my suggestions are some of the best features of the Tidal, Quboz, Deezer and Roon native OS apps.  

• Indicate streaming type of album and song playing no matter which music service you’re using inside the S2 controller….HiFi, MQA, CD, HD, Hi-Res etc
  • Speaking of HiRes audio playback. it will be interesting if Sonos through the S2 update can push current Sonos products (speakers, Port and Amp) to actually play MQA music files from Tidal or Dolby Atmos for surround sound set-ups.
  • Provide album credits, liner notes, album reviews and artist bio. Tidal and Roon does a wonderful job with this feature. Currently in Sonos S1 if you click “More” “Album Info” it takes you to see the song listing for the album or you can browse the artist.  
  • List albums in release date order and list the release date of each album. Currently in S1 Qobuz lists albums with release dates.
  • This might be music service specific yet I prefer to look at album listings in a grid instead of a thumb nail list.

Audio through the app - seriously. With Shelter-in-Place it’s even more necessary, but even before that there’s plenty of occasions where we’ve needed audio to route to headphones. Examples:

• watching TV in bed with another person asleep
  • watching TV in a living room when other people need zero/low noise in the environment
  • listening to music when roaming the house when quiet is needed

For the music case you _could_ exit the Sonos app and switch to whatever specific source you’re listening too directly, however that entails:

• not using the Sonos app where , if Sonos have got it right, you’re building up a list of favorites across multiple sources and may have different credentials for those services than in the native apps
  • headphone switching, assuming you’re wanting to use the same headphones you do when directly paired with Visual
  • flexibility - sometimes I just want to have the audio track (with or without video) continue while I’ve stepped away from everything except WiFi. Sometimes I’d rather drop quality to the speaker on a mobile, or earbuds, than stop playback, switch sources, seek to current location, resume… assuming it’s even possible given the source. 

For the visual case - I have to find a way to configure each a/v source with headphones, meaning when switching between a/v sources the headphones have to be switched somehow as well. While it is possible to buy a Port so you can add a wireless headphone transmitter, that then essentially ties you to using headphone in proximity to the port whereas I have already ensured there’s high quality WiFi signal throughout the house that the app is connected to.

Wouldn’t It be great if Sonos made headphones that would connect to your Sonos set up via WiFi or on the go Outside your WiFi network via Bluetooth just like the Sonos Move. Maybe down the road they’ll introduce some headphones once the new S2 OS is up and running. 

I’m excited for the release of S2 so I can compare the sonic quality of my Sonos Port to my Bluesound Node 2i. At the moment the Node 2i sounds more pleasing to my ears with a fuller spectrum of the music. The Node is also able to play HiRes files above CD quality. And last but not least, it will be interesting to see how the S2 interface and features compares to Bluesound’s BluOS app. Should be fun times doing all these comparisons come June 8th which I believe is the date Sonos will be releasing S2. 

I’d like Sonos Headphones, but I’d prefer using the app to play audio on the phone. I use different headphones for different environments and the app as an audio source would mean I can have that access without requiring a specific pair. I use:

• airpods - public transport, with me where ever by default - better spatial awareness than with over the ear headphones, less obvious, and easier to transport, pack away, recharge.
  • over-ear, sound cancelling - office environment (stays in the office)
  • over-ear, sound cancelling - high quality listening (stays at home)
  • sweat proof, light weight - running, cycling, exercise where they suffer abuse and more prone to loss

Only _one_ of those use cases is at home and suited to a dedicated pair of high quality Sonos headphones.

Interesting ideas. Thanks for sharing. JG

I would settle for:

-Management of multi-genres tags. A basic feature that even the native app from my synology can handle.

-Being able to manage all my music library (i own more than 65.000 songs) .

-The ability for 3rd party companies to develop their own controllers.

Well S2 is finally available for download so I guess the both of us will be checking it out today.

Well S2 is finally available for download so I guess the both of us will be checking it out today.

if i’m not mistaken it’s only available for IOS, right?

it’s not like a good half of the world is using Android these days:-)

if i’m not mistaken it’s only available for IOS, right?

it’s not like a good half of the world is using Android these days:-)

It’s for android and iOS. 

The Port plays 24-bit 1700 kbps FLAC just fine :) 

i stand corrected it’s available on Android but on request. anyway, updating right now.:grinning:

anyone knows if there’s a desktop windows version?

Edit: just found it

Audio through the app - seriously.

How is Sonos, a hardware company, going to make any money off that?

Ontopic: I don't really have many wishes for features in S2. Couldn't care less about high-res. I would like to see some work done on Google Assistant integration, because that is a little underwhelming. But that takes two to tango of course.

I’d like to see more information available on my FLAC files that I stream from my NAS, so when you see the playlist or queue it will also list the track time as well. This was something that couldn’t be done before but I’m hoping it can be got around by storing larger music database information on the controller device.

Also regarding streaming my own FLAC files, I’d like to be able to sort track better, at the moment you’re very limited with sorting tracks within albums and within artist.

Audio through the app - seriously.

How is Sonos, a hardware company, going to make any money off that?

Well there’s more than making money for a company. Loyalty for example.

Back on topic too 🙂 I deleted and recreated my music library dans did not find any improvement regarding multi-tagging or library size limitations.  

I’m not interested in online music services so i don’t see any differences from my perspective.

I’d also like to see improvements and a more configurable My Sonos tab. At the moment I find it poor as it doesn’t list all my radio stations without me pressing on the link and it also is the only place that I can have my playlists for my music library. This is a problem for me because it means it will always spin up my NAS drive every time I visit the My Sonos tab and I only want it to do so if I want to access the playlists. I know I can remove the playlists from the My Sonos tab but then they aren’t available anywhere else!

Hi,

I made a speaker grouping suggestion a few years ago. I’m pleased to see it implemented in the new S2 app.

It would be nice to combine groups of speakers with audio options such as radio and playlists.

Examples:

Group one: Kitchen speaker + Radio 6

Group two: Living Room, Dining Room + Favourite Playlist 

It​ could then be activated in one press on the app or action​ it​ via voice. Voice example, “Play Group 1”

Another thing to look at is audio ​predictions. Track some very basic user interactions to make suggestions based on the day of week and time. Most people are very predictable.

​If a user likes a particular band, suggest playing their new album when it's released, etc​

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Kind regards

Jonny

Hi,

I have a very large room with 1 Sonos Five, 3 Sonos Ones and 1 Sub. I listen to all speakers simultaneously and retune often depending on my location in the room. I use to tune low/highs, volume level and sub level. 

My huge request is to optimise access in the application in the way users will be able to reach tune setting in lower amount of clicks. Currently, to tune regular speaker you have to click more than 4 times, and sub +1 more click and + 1 more scroll. Up to me this does not meet the high bar of Sonos customer expectations.

Will appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Pavel.