Skip to main content

I know this has been mentioned multiple times as a feature request in a multitude of different ways but I wanted it brought up again as the Alarm functionality is not robust enough. Certain things can be done using multiple alarms. The biggest thing I am looking for is multiple room/device functionality with alarms. I have a Move and two Play Ones in the Kitchen. I also have a Roam in the Master Bathroom. I would like all three sets of these devices to play at the same time every morning. The problem is that I have 3 alarms and more often than not they are all out of sync even though they are scheduled at the exact same times. The include grouped room function does not solve this problem, I am not sure what it even does as we change room groups so often. The solution is simple, instead of that include the ability to choose room groups as an option. They already exist and are easy to create and use plus then they would all sync up. Or, just add the ability to choose multiple rooms under one alarm. Can you please strongly consider this functionality. 

Have you tried scheduling an alarm via Alexa routines?  I believe you could setup your group as a Alexa group, and schedule music to play on that group.  I have not tried this personally, but should work.

I have lutron lights in my home, and the lutron app allows me schedule lights and Sonos speakers, so this is what I do for my morning alarm.

While I completely understand why customers would want greater automation built into the Sonos app, I’m more inclined to desire that functionality through a 3rd party automation platform.  Between speakers, lights, outlets, and anything else that can be automated (and triggering automation) setting up automation in multiple apps becomes very difficult to keep organized.

Have you tried scheduling an alarm via Alexa routines?  I believe you could setup your group as a Alexa group, and schedule music to play on that group.  I have not tried this personally, but should work.

I have not. Unfortunately, we do not have any other home automation. Tried and wife hated it, although I loved it. Guess who won? :wink: Sonos is all I have right now for automation. While I do have Alexa set up on my Sonos system and use it for basics-Volume +/-, Stop and Play... functionality that is all we do. Not a fan of that whole ecosystem and am desperately waiting for Sonos to release their own so I have a little more closed loop confidence and functionality. 

If you’re an iOS user @Jeffrey_35 then you can use the Soro ‘shortcuts’ App to achieve this easily. It will group your chosen rooms at a set time daily and then just set the one alarm/playlist/station etc; to play to the group (using the include grouped rooms option) or you can use Soro to play a Sonos Favourite, like a radio station/playlist/album and set the volume on each, or all, of the grouped rooms

If you’re an iOS user @Jeffrey_35 then you can use the Soro ‘shortcuts’ App to achieve this easily. It will group your chosen rooms at a set time daily and then just set the one alarm/playlist/station etc; to play to the group (using the include grouped rooms option) or you can use Soro to play a Sonos Favourite, like a radio station/playlist/album and set the volume on each of all of the grouped rooms

So this is a separate app, and not through Apple’s Shortcuts. it does look interesting. Does it support all Music services or just those in the description? We use Sonos Radio HD in the mornings. This seems like it would be a nice little purchase to officially integrate into the Sonos app.

I’ve posted it again - it’s just a screenshot showing an example from Soro. Hope you can see it now?

The IKEA Tradfri hub has similar features, and can also form Sonos player groups by schedule or by triggered ‘scenes’.

The Soro components in the list in the screenshot are all ‘drag & drop’ …just save the completed ‘shortcut’ (list of instructions) and put it in the iOS scheduler to run at whatever time you need the alarm each morning.

Soro also comes with a number of ‘examples’ (sample shortcuts) to help get you started using the App with your Sonos system. HTH

That surely means having to have an iOS device alive, on WiFi somewhere.

A benefit of a home automation hub of some kind is it would be wired to the network and not tied to any mobile.

A benefit of a home automation hub of some kind is it would be wired to the network and not tied to any mobile.

Yes, but it also means that alarms don’t activate if your away - so it has some advantages too and there are toggle off/on options using buttons or voice assistant - it’s a cheap fix for the issue mentioned, plus the App can do many other useful things like scheduling night mode/speech enhancement on HT devices, or setting EQ settings for TV and Music mode etc. it has some v/good features… too many to list here.

Yes, but it also means that alarms don’t activate if your away - so it has some advantages too and there are toggle off/on options using buttons or voice assistant - it’s a cheap fix for the issue mentioned, plus the App can do many other useful things like scheduling night mode/speech enhancement on HT devices, or setting EQ settings for TV and Music mode etc. it has some v/good features… too many to list here.

Often times, you can have part of the triggering event be that your phone is in WiFi range, or geo fencing.  For me, I don’t care if music and lights come on when I’m not at home.  I don’t want them on when I don’t have to go into to work.

I have not. Unfortunately, we do not have any other home automation. Tried and wife hated it, although I loved it. Guess who won? :wink: Sonos is all I have right now for automation. While I do have Alexa set up on my Sonos system and use it for basics-Volume +/-, Stop and Play... functionality that is all we do. Not a fan of that whole ecosystem and am desperately waiting for Sonos to release their own so I have a little more closed loop confidence and functionality. 

I like Alexa ok, but not that crazy about it as a home automation home.  I use it because it’s there, and I’m too lazy to go through the effort of reconfiguring everything a new hub. Particularly since I will still need to a lot in Alexa to use voice control.  But absolutely, a Sonos voice assistant will be very welcome.