Question

Feature Request: Enable Music Library as an option in Alarm

• 2 March 2016
  • 8 replies

Hi all,
I am a new owner of a SONOS system and was disappointed to learn that it is not possible to use the music library as a source for alarms.
It appears to be restricted to music services and playlists. If you want to play an album for an alarm, you need to create a playlist from it first.
This seems unnecessarily limiting, so I am requesting a feature update for the next release to enable the library to be used as a source in the alarm as well.
Please share / comment to promote this (this is what the tech support suggested I do when I asked them about it)
Marc

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What exactly is wrong with using a playlist? You can either choose an externally created imported playlist, or simply save a copy of a selected album into a Sonos playlist.

If anything that makes things simpler: when you want to change the alarm's album just update the Sonos playlist, instead of fishing around in the alarm settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think it might be a small improvement. Though I'd suggest it's stretching it to be disappointed.
After all, as you've pointed out, it is actually very easy to set an alarm to play ANY of your music library.
Userlevel 1
Badge
"Playlist" isn't really a convenient option. Here's a creative example of why being able to pick an individual file would be MUCH BETTER. Say you want a Westminster clock to chime every hour in the afternoon, daily. You'd have to set up a one song playlist for each hour and have those playlists clog up your playlists you would otherwise choose from for music. If you have all your clock sounds in one folder with appropriate tags, they would show up under my music as one album, but otherwise, wouldn't be a mess in your sonos interface. It seems only logical that Sonos would allow you to pick whatever single song you wanted for an alarm. But it would also seem logical that you could set a sleep timer for any time you wanted, but they've ignored that request by thousands of users for years as well. Sonos is less and less about user experience as time goes on and competitors catch up (which happened years ago) and now pass sonos by.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
"Playlist" isn't really a convenient option. Here's a creative example of why being able to pick an individual file would be MUCH BETTER. Say you want a Westminster clock to chime every hour in the afternoon, daily. You'd have to set up a one song playlist for each hour and have those playlists clog up your playlists you would otherwise choose from for music. If you have all your clock sounds in one folder with appropriate tags, they would show up under my music as one album, but otherwise, wouldn't be a mess in your sonos interface. It seems only logical that Sonos would allow you to pick whatever single song you wanted for an alarm. But it would also seem logical that you could set a sleep timer for any time you wanted, but they've ignored that request by thousands of users for years as well. Sonos is less and less about user experience as time goes on and competitors catch up (which happened years ago) and now pass sonos by.

I'd buy a clock that chimes to be honest
Yeah, Sonos is being "passed by" due to a year old request with exactly two posts supporting it. :8
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Not as disappointed as I was to find a feature that worked fine has disappeared - I.e being able to select from your music library as an alarm source. Why on earth with correctly tagged albums would you want to create a playlist to do the same thing. For example, if you wanted album x as your wake up alarm, whats the sense in creating a play list x containg album x. Mine worked fine on the music library until yesterday!
I also would like to have an external library as an alarm source. I have an iTunes library with 12,685 songs in it, I can select the library and play it in shuffle mode manually; but, cannot set it as an alarm source.
I'll support this request. It makes no sense to have to go through an extra step to create a playlist when you already have the files available and ready to be used on their own. It's not a PROBLEM to create a playlist but an extra unnecessary step.
Personally, I'm struggling to find how to use my library, having just added to my sonos inventory and upgraded my software!