Skip to main content

Good morning,

For over six years I have been creating playlists on the Sonos app via Napster. I now wish to leave Napster and transfer everything to TIDAL, still to be played on Sonos. It is only recently that I have realised that music on my Napster account on Sonos does not back up to my Napster account.   Sonos is not able to help me.  I find this quite poor.  I wonder if other users have had this issue and if there is a way to overcome it.   I use an iPad and iPhone. I do not have a computer. 

Thank you. 

Hi @GeoffreyStuart 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Unfortunately, what you describe just isn’t practically possible.

A playlist is typically a text file with a list of files on it which a player reads and opens in order. As your playlists are pointing to a online music service, this is a list of URLs, presumably with added complexity that refers to your account with the service, or at least Sonos’ internal reference for it. If your intention is to have the same songs play from a different music service, you’d have to manually edit these files (there is no supported method of getting an export of these playlists) to reflect the change in service for each and every track (making sure you found the correct URL for each track), prior to putting them back again (there’s no supported method of doing this either).

It, frankly, would be easier to bring up the playlist on your iPad Sonos app, and recreate it on your iPhone Sonos app, finding the songs on the new service one by one. It would be easier, more likely to work, require much less technical knowledge and you wouldn’t need a computer.

Even if this were a common problem (it’s not - this is the first time I’ve heard of the idea) it’s unlikely that we would try to implement such a feature due to the likelihood that it would be unreliable because of differences in music libraries across services or more technical reasons.

Hello Corry,

Thank you for your detailed reply.  It is a shame.  I wish I had been aware of this shortcoming before.  I least I know now.   I now realise that I must never search for songs on the Sonos app.  Rather I must use the TIDAL app and play that via Sonos.

I am surprised that you say this is the first you have ever heard of someone wishing to export a Sonos playlist. I have since done some searching on the Sonia community and there are dozens of posts from users going back some years wanting to do a similar thing.

Thanks for your reply.  

Thank you, Sonos Junkie.

That’s an interesting thread. The Simoniiz route works, although only to a maximum of 200 songs, but that’s still 200 more than I was expecting.  Thanks again.  

Hi @GeoffreyStuart 

I am surprised that you say this is the first you have ever heard of someone wishing to export a Sonos playlist. I have since done some searching on the Sonia community and there are dozens of posts from users going back some years wanting to do a similar thing.

Sorry - what I meant was that I’ve never heard of someone wanting to export a playlist for the specific purpose of having each entry in it to point to a completely different music service for the same track to be played. This is different from people wanting to back up playlists for the sake of backing up, which is what the other threads are about.

Thank you.  Whatever is the users intended use of exporting a playlist, the technical steps are the same.  

If anyone is interested I downloaded Phonos Plus app which gives sight of my Sonos playlists.  I then exported each playlist in xml format to My Files. Then imported each file into Tidal using Soundiiz.  It was actually terribly easy, even by a non-tech man like me.

A few songs did not transfer but that is because that version is not on Tidal.  One receives notification of songs that did not make the leap, so it is easy to find the song on Tidal.  

I am not a tech person yet managed to work this out in under a day, so I wonder why Sonos keeps this a secret?  

I honestly didn’t know that Tidal would do that for you, but I’m glad you were able to easily find a solution. Thank you for also updating us here on how you achieved it. 

I’m sure you understand that I can’t refer you to a 3rd-party app for interacting with our system, nor comment on the possible availability, now or ever, of certain features not implemented.

Thank you.  I understand.