Question

Exclude folders

• 6 June 2014
  • 5 replies

I think I understand that it is possible to add individual shared folders rather than only a single folder and all of is sub folders. I share the top level iTunes folder because it contains iTunes' library files. (I use sonos in lose conjunction with iTunes, so it is essential that I have access to its playlist file.) The problem, however, is that I do not wish sonos to index all of the subfolders. (For instance, "music" subfolders but not "audiobook" folder. ) So what I'm wondering is: is there some way to index only certain files as well as certain folders? Or some other way to index only certain subfolders of a folder AS WELL AS only certain FILES within it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I have the same problem at the moment. I do not want my voice memos to be indexed (accessible via the Sonos controller) but cannot work out a way to exclude this one file. I am hoping I don't have to set up a whole new music folder which doesn't contain my voice memos. 
I have the same problem at the moment. I do not want my voice memos to be indexed (accessible via the Sonos controller) but cannot work out a way to exclude this one file. I am hoping I don't have to set up a whole new music folder which doesn't contain my voice memos. 
Oh darn. Maybe I should have posted this in ideas, then. I had seen your post, but for some reason it didn't register as the same issue. But it is, isn't it. I love my Sonos, but often find it isn't particularly robust in its management of music files. Their priority seems to be in adding outside services instead, which I like, but just don't use as often, personally.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Rachel and Aaron,

Sonos does not have a way to ignore particular files within a folder if it is trying to index that particular folder- i.e. if you have Sonos index the "Music" folder, it will pull in everything that is a readable music format. 

A lot of clients have found that if they wish to pull in particular music into Sonos, they create a designated "Sonos Music" folder and copy and paste the music they want to see in that folder only.

There are software programs available that can better assist you with managing your files. 
Hi Dominique Z

I'm sorry to say it, but this is an unacceptable oversight on the part of Sonos.
I enjoy playing music on random shuffle sometimes, but I don't like having to skip through Voice Memos and other files that I've already unselected in my iTunes library.

Is Sonos planning to address this issue?
It's already easily addressed. You create a user called Sonos. Add the share folder to Sonos using the Sonos user credentials, then set read permissions accordingly on the files or folders you want included or excluded. Excluded items will never be seen on Sonos.