Skip to main content

I’m no doubt repeating the same question. Can anyone assist definitively - I have a S1 controlled system; a One, a One SL and a Connect:Amp (1st generation). I’ve just purchased 2 more One SL, but the S1 app tells me I need to use them only with S2 app (even though I have a One SL on the S1 ‘system’ already. 

I’ve tried the downgrade with S2 (as Sonos suggests), but it won’t even find it, unless I completely set them up (on another wifi to avoid it messing up the S1 group), and as soon as they are set up, the downgrade option is greyed out. 

Any definitive help out there? 

New One SLs can only run on S2 I'm afraid.  There is no way to use it on S1.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

What a pain the arse.

Lack of complete transparency on the website on this one I feel. 

Thanks for your help. 

On the Dutch One SL Sonos internet page https://www.sonos.com/nl-nl/shop/one-sl the incompatibility with S1 of newer One SL’s is clearly mentioned in the FAQ:

At least on the Dutch site there seems to be fairly complete transparency.

It is on the website (John's link) but I do feel sometimes the 'Well it's on the website you could/should have researched it.’ is a bit harsh - especially in this situation.

It's not 'that' unreasonable to have a system running S1 and adding another component to it that you already have and expecting it to work.

It must be an arbitrary decision Sonos made to allow them on S1 but never go back to it from S2 (it's the only device like that isn't it?)

I'd be interested in the reason

That this behavior of the One SL is unexpected for you is clear; your question about the technical background of this decision is valid. I seem to remember the One SL cannot be added to an S1 system  at all anymore - the text in Dutch reflects this.

My comment was about your complaint that Sonos is not transparent about this. They are, by mentioning it in the FAQ on the very page you can buy the One SL from them. How transparent can you be?

Inspector: Nevertheless, I advise you in future to replace the words 'Crunchy Frog' with the legend, 'Crunchy, Raw, Unboned Real Dead Frog' if you wish to avoid prosecution!