Disable new “It's time to update to Sonos S2” notification.

• 21 February 2021
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 3

The Android S1 controller app just updated. There is a new notification at the top of the screen saying “It's time to update to Sonos S2. You can schedule an automatic update or do it now. More information”. The notification is large, taking up about 10% of my phone's screen.

There is no option to close this notification, unlike previous similar ones. I have decided I want to retain the S1 app and not update to S2. I only use Sonos to play local files from my NAS and have zero interest in any additional features. I previously understood that this is fine; the FAQ regarding the controller says that customers can continue to use the S1 Controller app if they so choose.

I've been through all the app menus I can find, but cannot see a way to disable this notification. Does anyone know if there is an option to do this somewhere? Changing the app’s Android notification permissions doesn’t address this problem. Ideally I could permanently disable these notifications: I'm aware of S2 but don't want it. I personally find these notifications annoying and materially detrimental to my Sonos system’s usability. Many thanks for your help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Same here, I want to stay on S1, runs fine and I have no issues.

And - S2 offers no new / improved functionality, yet, over S1, at least for my system. Why update?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Sonos  we need help removing the notification, why is there no solution?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I managed to disable the “update to S2 now” nag banner by following Ken’s instructions from 22 days ago, with no problem (iOS) as I am on S1 and wish to stay that way, 7 components and only one is S2 compatible, running FLACs from NAS, plus Spotify and Amazon streaming. I also use analog in for vinyl and have a Bluetooth receiver also on analog in, so have everything I need including anything I can play on my phone, podcasts etc.  So no need for S2.

Finally was able to disable the super annoying message to upgrade to S2. Thank you for the comments.

OMG I used to praise Sonos, installed it everywhere in my home, recommended it to friends. However, lately this company has become super annoying, invasive, and very poor quality. Constant upgrades, S2 upgrade messages that stay on the screen, UX is not as it used to be….and worst they seem extremely arrogant towards users when I read these messages.

I remember when the company was born - I remember their first investors - Sonos was a gem - not today anymore - they have become too much spoiled.