Skip to main content

My old desktop controller said an update was available.  i ran the update but when the app restarted i received the “Sonos Desktop Controller has stopped working” error.  I tried rebooting, rebooting on safe mode, and still wouldn't run.  I uninstalled the software and tried loading S1 and S2.  I get the same error on each.

I loaded all windows updates and still nothing.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Hi,

i had the exact same problem also , and i’m also running on windows 7 , it installed fine on another windows 7 laptop i had  , but one remains un installable, no answers that solved it from sonos either, blaming windows itself ?  did you manage to get it to install in the end or are you still having the issue? i tired …... uninstall , install old versions and then upgrade , but so far no luck

You are both running a dead, unsupported operating system. I am surprised that Sonos still bother to support their app running on it. Well maybe they don’t, given these two posts?

Hi , yes aware of that , but sonos support didn’t have an issue with a windows 7 platform  when i reported the issue, and it installed no problem on another windows 7 laptop

Hi @alxrain and @dt2, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the efforts.

Windows®️ 7 and higher should work with the Sonos desktop controller. If you have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the Sonos app and the same problem, try to check an update on your Windows that could help with the issue. After updating to the latest Windows update and same problem, try to check this article on Configuring your firewall to work with Sonos. Maybe something is blocking/stopping the Sonos app from working. If you are still having trouble after running through that article, it might be a good idea to get in touch with our phone support team as well. Our phone support team is open from 10 am to 9 pm EST. They will be able to set up a remote session and make sure everything is working as expected. 

Let us know if you still need anything. We’re always here.