Skip to main content
Answered

Controller won't connect from my MacBook Pro

• 25 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I have a pair of Play:1’s connected as a Stereo pair.

Windows PC, Phone are able to connect to it with the controller app, Mac can’t. Don’t know if important but Spotify on Mac IS able to play music on the system.

All devices are on the same wifi.

I have a pair of TP-Link Deco M9 Plus mesh operating as an access point, connected to my cable company’s router to the internet.

I have disabled VPN on the Mac, made sure Sonos was allowed in mac firewall, disabled antivirus.

I recently moved, but all gear (except cable company router) was with me and working in my previous house and everything was working fine there.

EDIT: I tried connecting one of the speakers with an ethernet cable (and disabled its wifi) and there’s no change.

Any advice?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @idotzang 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As other devices connect, the issue must be either with the Mac’s configuration, or the network.

As you mentioned that you have mesh system in addition to your ISP router, I suspect you need to put your Deco system into Bridge mode - not doing so may result in you having two networks.

You can check this by comparing the IP address of your Mac with those of Sonos - the first 3 numbers should be identical. So, if your speakers have IPs of 192.168.1.x and your Mac is on 192.168.48.x, they will not be able to communicate.

To remedy this, follow the instructions here: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1842/

Failing this, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Thank you @Corry P .

My Deco is already set up as an access point and not a router. IPs are all the same subnet.

I’ll try support.