Answered

Control Sonos outside of home wifi

• 24 April 2022
  • 1 reply

We really need a way to control a Sonos outside the home wifi. I went into holidays and I forgot to remove the alarm I had every day. My dad came to my house for one week and has to wake up everyday to turn Sonos off! I don’t understand that basic features like removing alarms cannot be done outside wifi. 

icon

Best answer by ratty 24 April 2022, 17:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Security, is the short answer. It would require a cloud service with strong authentication, to prevent interlopers.

Since Sonos is a local network system, where as a general rule the user tends to want to listen to the results of their stroking of the controller app, the percentage of users requiring off-network access must be absolutely tiny. Basically there’s no business case for it.

What I don’t quite understand is why your dad couldn’t, under your phone direction, install a Sonos app and disable the alarm? Or, dare I suggest, simply unplug the offending speaker at the wall?