Skip to main content

I just put Vipre Advanced Security on my Windows 10 computer and the firewall is blocking Sonos.  I know that’s true because when I turn off the Firewall the app works.  Please don’t refer me to the article 688 on the Sonos site. It does NOT address Vipre and is no help with Vipre.  I suspect I need someone who ran into the same problem and solved it to help.  

Hi @Mardig, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I don’t have any personal experience with Vipre, however I’ve found a few links that may prove helpful;

How to allow an application with Vipre

How to switch firewall to Learning or Standard mode

As shown in the second link, it may help to switch Vipre to “learning" mode, and then opening the Sonos app and seeing if it prompts you to allow the connection.

Let us know how you get on :)

Hi Xander,

thank you.  I will check out number one.  I did try the “learning” mode, but when I did, I was besieged with “allow” or not for what must have been 30 inquiries, none of which was for Sonos, and it seemed to repeat the exact same network ask over and over.  So I gave up on that.  

It’s possible that your first suggestion led me to a solution.  Ironically, but somehow not surprising, Vipre’s own suggestions pushed me to a setting that does not exist on the current app.  <sigh>  this happens I think constantly since help never seems to catch up to the Dev team’s insufferable need to keep changing things to keep their jobs (my personal gripe regarding software these days). Nevertheless, I took the general directions and in the new app clicked on “manage rules” under Firewall, and then under “Apps” added Sonos.exe with the settings on allow/allow/allow/allow.  I then opened the Sonos app and it opened properly and with all my settings.  I’m still not secure that it’s fixed, but unless I return here and howl, anyone else reading this can use this workaround hopefully to allow Sonos with Vipre.

Huge THANKS for your help Xander.