Skip to main content

I am trying to add music from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to the Sonos Music Library, but when I enter the device name (by IP address), I get an error saying “The computer rIP address] refused to let the Sonos product connect to it”.

How do I get Sonos to connect to the computer?
Thanks.

Hi @RoversLad.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to ask some questions to better understand the situation.

• What Operating system (OS) are you running on your desktop/computer? Windows or Mac?
  • Can you share the steps on how are you trying to add the music library on your Sonos (using your Samsung Galaxy Tab).
  • Allow me to share with you the guide about how to Add your music library to Sonos. Can we give this steps a try?
  • Can you also share how your network is set up?
  1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

The more information you provide, the more we can have a better understanding 

Thanks,

Hi Paul,

I am running Android 7.0 on a Galaxy Tab S2 tablet.

To configure the Music Library, on the Sonos app I go to System → Music Library → Music Library Setup → Add Shared Music Folder → Add New Share

My router is a BT home hub 6. Both the tablet and Sonos are connected to the 2.4GHz channel.

Note that Sonos can not use a mobile device as a Music Library location. It requires a laptop/desktop, or NAS. I assume this is due to the fact that a mobile device is, well, mobile, and not always on the network. 

You can, however (I think!), use the ‘Play from this device’ function on the Sonos controller, something Apple has shut down for iOS. 

Thanks Airgetlam,

That may explain it, as the music is on my tablet’s SD card.

Here is what I am trying to achieve - I want to be able to create Sonos playlists from the music on my tablet’s SD card. I cannot do this in the usual way (by simply selecting “Add to Sonos playlist”) because you can’t do this if the tracks are on removable media. So I thought I could add the music to the Sonos library, and create a playlist this way - but if you are correct, I can’t.

My question then is: Given that my music is on my tablet’s SD card, how do I create a Sonos playlist?

Thanks again.

The easy way is to add a NAS, the only real requirement is that it run SMB v1 so Sonos can connect.

You could use a Windows or Mac desktop instead of the NAS.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go down the NAS route. Is there a specific model/make you would recommend - or any to avoid? It isn’t always obvious from the specs whether they support SMB v1. For instance, would this WD My Cloud Home be suitable?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/external-hard-drives/wd-my-cloud-home-nas-drive-2-tb-white-10168821-pdt.html 

I’m not rich enough to own several NAS devices so that I could compare them, but do have an older WD NAS which continues to work well with their latest OS change, after some fiddling. There are a couple of threads with other’s experiences, particularly in the Troubleshooting area of the forum.