Skip to main content

compatablity and expansion

• 29 April 2021
  • 6 replies

I use the Sonos 1 Ap to control:

A TV surround with a Beam and two Play 1 (first gen)

A grouped pair with a Play 1(first gen) and a Play One (second gen)

If I buy a Move and swap with the single Play 1 will the whole system work on the updated Sonos Ap?  How does the Neam/ play 1 surround work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I use the Sonos 1 Ap to control:

A TV surround with a Beam and two Play 1 (first gen)

A grouped pair with a Play 1(first gen) and a Play One (second gen)

If I buy a Move and swap with the single Play 1 will the whole system work on the updated Sonos Ap?  How does the Neam/ play 1 surround work?

None of the speakers you’ve listed are limited to S1.  No need to swap anything, you could be running S2 today.  Also, there is only one generation of the Play:1.  

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

These products work with either the Sonos S2 app or the Sonos S1 Controller app.

Amp

Beam

Boost

Connect (Gen 2)

Connect:Amp (Gen 2)

Move

One (Gen 1)

One (Gen 2)

Play:1

Play:3

Play:5 (Gen 2)

Playbar

Playbase

Port

Sub (Gen 1)

Sub (Gen 2)

Symfonisk

Thank you.  I forgot to mention the bridge that I also have.  I notice this isn’t compatible with s2 Ap.  Do I still need this or will my components work without it using the s2 Ap?

The BRIDGE is indeed limited to S1. You could conceivably replace it with a newer BOOST, which runs either S1 or S2, but not both at the same time, or you could just wire any of your Sonos speakers (but not a surround speaker or a Subwoofer) and have the same effect as having the BOOST. 

Do you mean wire a speaker into the router.  But not the Beam?  

Could I wire in a play 1.  Then switch to no bridge and move to S2 Ap?

Or you could eliminate the Bridge altogether by switching to a wireless setup.

Switch Sonos between a wireless and wired setup

The Beam is a speaker, you could certainly wire that if desired.