Skip to main content
Answered

Can’t use Roam with new Sonos app

I did the mistake of updating the Sonos app on my iPhone, resulting in losing the ability to play music on my Roam. The Roam shows up in the list of players, but I can’t make it play anything. When trying, the play button shows a spinning circle for a while, then the app states that an error occurred (no shit, Sherlock). 

Luckily, I haven’t update the app on my iPad, so I can play on the Roam from there.

I’ve tried resetting the app, but that didn’t help.

Any advise, or do I just wait for the app to get updated?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 1

Same problem.  New app won’t connect to my Roam.  Shows up but when you try to connect it says “Unable to connect.  Try again later.”

I found someone’s suggestion that you sign out of the app, close the app and then sign back in, but that did not work.  I also signed out, deleted the app and started all over again and it still does not work.  

Love to talk to someone but hold time is usually an hour.

Userlevel 1

I did a factory reset on my Roam and then added it back to my system.  It’s working… for now.

Went through and reset to factory. Chose to Authenticate with the pin. No change

Userlevel 1

Same exact issue here. Everything is working fine for the app upgrade.

Userlevel 1

I was having the same exact issue, but I just performed the system update on the Roam software through the app. Now it works as expected.

Userlevel 1

Can confirm my roam won’t join any groups or speakers now so it’s just returned to being and overpriced Bluetooth speaker that is average at best. Great.

Userlevel 1

Can confirm my roam won’t join any groups or speakers now so it’s just returned to being and overpriced Bluetooth speaker that is average at best. Great.

Have you tried updating the software on the Roam specifically through the app? That solved the problem for many.

Yes I did - all working great now after the system update👍🏻

Same problem.  New app won’t connect to my Roam.  Shows up but when you try to connect it says “Unable to connect.  Try again later.”

I found someone’s suggestion that you sign out of the app, close the app and then sign back in, but that did not work.  I also signed out, deleted the app and started all over again and it still does not work.  

Love to talk to someone but hold time is usually an hour.

Same problem here.  Have completely uninstalled, reinstalled, reconnected my music sources and app still has issues but not as much with the Sirius XM as it does with my Apple subscription.  All my Sonos products rarely seem to have issues with SiriusXM.  Not sure if that helps. 

I did the factory reset of the ROAM. I managed to get it working, but only for a while. The day after, I was back to square one. Now, even after a couple of app updates, I still can’t control the ROAM from the Sonos (S2) app (iPad, iPhone). I CAN control it from the Windows app, I can control it from https://play.sonos.com/, and I can control it using the API (for example from Home Assistant), just not from Sonos’ own app.

And yet, my mailbox is filling up with ads for the new headphones. As if I’m in the mood for buying more Sonos products when I don’t know if I’ll be able to use them using Sonos’ recommended way of using them (the app). Sigh...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same problem here, this app update is a monumental f***up!!!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Just setup everything again and play1 works okay but roams - all 7, don’t work and won’t group in app.