Can't get Sonos controller to run on a new Windows 7 x64 laptop

• 14 June 2014
  • 5 replies

I recently installed the Sonos Controller on a new HP laptop running Windows 7 - x64. My wife had been previously able to run Sonos on her old Windows 7 desktop. Now, on the new system, the controller launches, but immediately complains of a problem, and exits. I can run the Sonos Controller successfully on my Windows 7 based desktop. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello John G,

If you are running into issues with the PC controller software, it may be corrupted. I'd recommend a fresh install of the Sonos application. (NOTE: the music library and service settings are stored within the devices themselves so they will be preserved during this process)

Please go through the following steps to do so:

1. Please uninstall the Sonos application:
    - Select the Start Menu
    - Select Control Panel
    - Select Sonos from the list
    - Select Uninstall (toward the top of the window- above the list of programs)
    - Allow the uninstall

2. Please download the latest Sonos application from our website:
    - Please visit: www.sonos.com/support
    - Select the Windows Icon
    - Install the Sonos Desktop Controller

3. Once you install the Sonos Desktop Controller
    - Open the Sonos Desktop Controller
    - Associate your computer it to the system

Please let me know if you still get the prompt to update the software after this process. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Windows 7 on a new laptop? Sounds like an oxymoron. What "problem" exactly does it complain of? (Apart from running on a soon-to-be-unsupported operating system).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi controlav, looks like you found a thread from 2014 somehow, Dominique's response and the question are pretty outdated at this point. Windows 7 isn't a supported OS for a controller for Sonos anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
How did that happen? LOL. Thanks Ryan.
It's the board software. Happens to me every once in a while, pops up a thread that's old for me to look at. 🙂