Skip to main content

I just received the Roam and am starting to use it. When I’m on wifi, it works great. The minute I go off wifi onto 5G, the app is completely useless. The music that I’m listening to still plays, but I can’t do anything else via the Sonos App. This seems like a pretty big limitation considering that most people will probably be using the speaker on the go (beach, boat, park, etc). So when you’re away, it’s really just another portable speaker. I’m assuming most people will start to discover this and wonder why, as Sonos didn't really mention that this would happen. 

The Sonos app connects to your speakers via WiFi, so yes, one your phone app or speaker(s) are no longer on WiFi, the app can’t control the speaker(s).  I don’t really see this as a limitation, particularly for the Roam, as there isn’t really anything for the Sonos app to do at that point.  The features of the Roam off WiFi, on bluetooth, are easily controlled by your phone like any other bluetooth speaker, the buttons on the speakers, or happen automatically (like auto Trueplay).

What are you expecting to be able to do with the Sonos app when away from your home?

If you’re at home listening to the speaker using the sonos app, then go for a walk with it or go out, when you go off wifi, the app stops working. I guess I thought that process would be seamless. 

If you’re at home listening to the speaker using the sonos app, then go for a walk with it or go out, when you go off wifi, the app stops working. I guess I thought that process would be seamless. 

The app is just a controller, the speaker is doing all the streaming by itself.  It’s  exactly like how you your TV is still works even though your remote control is out of range.  That probably isn’t obvious if you don’t have experience with Sonos but that’s how it works, and for good reason to.  If it didn’t work that way, you’re music would stop when the phone goes off the network, just like bluetooth speakers would,  That also means you can control your speakers from any phone/tablet and other devices without issue.

So if you pay extra monthly for the Sonos HD music service, you can only use it when connected to WiFi and not while on bluetooth.  About to cancel that useless streaming service!

I have the same issue. we camp a lot so have no wifi. i bought the Roam to replace a speaker i already have so i supposedly could use the Sonos content inc HD Radio. i was disappointed to find the app adid not show. there is nothing to say it would not work with the app when i bought it and is promoted only as a take anywhere robust waterproof speaker. if i had known this i would not have wasted £159.00 and stayed with my old speaker to play Amazon music and payed to have their HD content.

Ive spoken to 3 different tec people who have been no help in explaining why this product was developed and why the App developers do not make compatible with Bluetooth.

I really don’t understand the confusion. The Sonos controller app requires a local network. When out and about there isn’t one; instead you can stream music from your mobile over Bluetooth, as with any other BT speaker.

Indeed on https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/roam.html it says:

Enjoy the unmatched Sonos experience on Wifi, and stream directly from your smartphone, tablet, or computer using Bluetooth.

Click on the “WiFi and Bluetooth features” link and the popup shows precisely what’s available in either mode, including:

Play local, global, and curated stations with original content on Sonos Radio

with a tick against WiFi but not against Bluetooth.

I don’t see how it could made much plainer.

Not happy with your attitude. Nowhere on the site does it say you cannot use the app on bluetooth. Yes it does say stream content but thats misleading and it dows not say how the app works only as a controller. Not even on the app details on the app store

Nowhere on the site does it say you cannot use the app on bluetooth.

Go to https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/roam.html and click on “WiFi and Bluetooth features”. It explicitly states that Sonos Radio is not available on Bluetooth, which is the specific source you were upset about. 

In any case other music sources -- TuneIn, BBC Sounds, Spotify, locally stored music, etc. -- would be available from their native apps on your phone in the usual way.

Ive spoken to 3 different tec people who have been no help in explaining why this product was developed and why the App developers do not make compatible with Bluetooth.

I suspect the licensing or royalties that Sonos pays could be different if Sonos radio played on any iOS or android device, not just on Sonos devices.  Sonos would also have to decide whether to add a player feature to the Sonos app, which could confuse some customers, or to use a completely new app for just Sonos radio, which could also cause some confusion.  Customers would then be asking why you can’t play music on your phone, via bluetooth, in sync with Sonos speakers.  Why you can’t play other streaming services with the Sonos app via bluetooth.  And perhaps Sonos really doesn’t want Sonos radio played on nono-Sonos speakers, and they can’t control that via bluetooth.

In short, whatever the reason is, it’s likely not completely a technical reason.  Then again, Sonos radio isn’t that old, and perhaps this is a future feature.

Customers would then be asking why you can’t play music on your phone, via bluetooth, in sync with Sonos speakers. 

You can do this already. Play via Bluetooth to the Roam then group it with other players in the system. 

Customers would then be asking why you can’t play music on your phone, via bluetooth, in sync with Sonos speakers. 

You can do this already. Play via Bluetooth to the Roam then group it with other players in the system. 

That’s not exactly what I was getting at.  People have asked previously why their phone or computer can’t be a Sonos room, so that then use bluetooth (or computer speaker) as an additional Sonos room, one that doesn’t use any Sonos products whatsoever.

I suppose you could this with the Roam as you suggest with an android, since android allow you to connect to two different bluetooth speakers.  For example, connect via bluetooth to an Roam (grouped with other Sonos speakers) and a UA Boom….although I would not be surprised if the Boom is out of sync in this scenario.

That’s not exactly what I was getting at.  People have asked previously why their phone or computer can’t be a Sonos room, so that then use bluetooth (or computer speaker) as an additional Sonos room, one that doesn’t use any Sonos products whatsoever.

Ah, right. The “software ZonePlayer” that’s been requested since at least 2008 if not earlier. Also known as the “Sonos goes bust in double quick time” scenario.