Question

Can I view my music by album sorted by the artist?

• 27 March 2014
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
There are a couple threads already related to my question, but no solid fix, or logical answer. I want to click on album view, so that I can see the album art, but sort the albums by artist name. for instance when I click on album, I want to see AC/DC and all of their albums, then Aerosmith and their albums, then the Beatles and their albums... etc... A to Z by artist, but showing the album and cover art for each album. This is how iTunes sorts albums and it is by far the best way possible to view a massive music collection. I spent a lot of money on my Sonos system and this seems like it should be a pretty simple software fix. I absolutely love everything about Sonos, but this is making me very upset! Please help...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello User142478,

Looks like you've spoken with our Customer Care team about this already and gotten your answers. The way our music index sorts metadata from the tracks Album names aren't cross referenced with Artist names. You can find Idea threads requesting a change to the index and album sorts here. Please make sure you're following those threads as we'll be updating them if there is any change in the status of the Idea.

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Good question / feature request. I think that the long answer means to say:

"No, you cannot sort album view by artist".
Userlevel 1
Not being able to sort albums by artists is ridiculous! Spotify, iTunes and just about everyone else allows for this! I mean do you know anyone, I mean anyone, who sorts their CDs and LPs by Album?? No, they will be sorted by Artist. Come on Sonos!!
Not being able to sort albums by artists is ridiculous! Spotify, iTunes and just about everyone else allows for this! I mean do you know anyone, I mean anyone, who sorts their CDs and LPs by Album?? No, they will be sorted by Artist. Come on Sonos!!

Sonos team: saying this is not possible is quite simply ludicrous. Nobody in the history of listening to music ever decided to sort their albums alphabetical by name -- everyone who has ever had a collection of vinyl, tapes, cds, or even mp3s sorts by artist first, then album. The original request is completely normal and is the way this software should work, today, period. It's beyond stupid that the software can't do this -- and it isn't simply a preference thing -- absent this ability, the software should be considered BROKEN.

Further, it is not really an acceptable substitute to click on artists and see a list of all the artists in our collections -- then have to click on whatever artist to "drill down" and see what albums we have by that artist. When we want to look at our collections, we want to see every album we have, in order, grouped by the artist.

Make it happen! 🙂
I guess a workaround would be to bulk update the album name metadata to include "artist - " at the start. Not pretty but it would work. Of course the moment I do this sonos will add this function...
Badge
I completely agree. Why this has not been build into the indexing algorithm is beyond me. It's much easier to go directly to a single Artist to find an album. Than remember the names of all of of your albums. Is there any plan at all to update this ?. Browsing by large album art on my Ipad, is the way I prefer to navigate and explore my music collection. So this is actually keeping me away from a large Sonos investment.
If you really wanted to make the investment, this wouldn't stop you. For me, it is much faster and cleaner to scroll through the artists and click them to see their album offerings than scrolling through album art to see what I want to listen to.
As a new user to Sonos, this is the first thing I looked for! Everything was seemless until I opened the Album view and tried to find the "Sort by" feature... which sadly isn't there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The problem is that for every person that wants to sort by Album Artist in Album view will be somebody who wants it sorting by "Contributing Artist", "Composer", "Date of Release", "Total Playing Time", "Date Added to My Collection", "Drummers Nickname"

So you see, no matter what sort options Sonos made somebody would want something else.

Also, bear in mind that Sonos is NOT a music manager. There are other options for that
Userlevel 1
The problem is that for every person that wants to sort by Album Artist in Album view will be somebody who wants it sorting by "Contributing Artist", "Composer", "Date of Release", "Total Playing Time", "Date Added to My Collection", "Drummers Nickname"

So you see, no matter what sort options Sonos made somebody would want something else.

Also, bear in mind that Sonos is NOT a music manager. There are other options for that

I'm sorry to Lazarus this thread but this is a ridiculous excuse not to add a sort by option.