Skip to main content

I’ve invested thousands of pounds in Sonos tech and I’m, on the whole, very happy with the products, features and company.

However recently, I’ve become saddened by Sonos’s behaviour. Trying to force customers to renew speakers just represents corporate greed.

I was so pleased at the global reaction last year to their announcement that certain products would stop working.

But now, Sonos seems to want to change tack and use different techniques…. putting a stupidly large banner in the S1 app and telling users they should upgrade (thus making certain speakers unusable) is pathetic.

Come on Sonos, recognise loyalty, do the right thing, stop using playground behaviour and people will show even more loyalty and your sales will grow.

Disappointed, of England

I just accept the small banner - it’s no worse than an advert in any other ‘free’ App. It’s not causing an issue.

My OCD has greatly dwindled after seeing all the other issues the world is going through, to be concerned with such trivia.

It’s just an advertisement and a small price to pay for the controller App software to be maintained with any security updates and to keep the available music services running, hopefully for some years still to come, by which time all here will be S2 only.

Unconcerned, of Planet Earth

I just accept the small banner - it’s no worse than an advert in any other ‘free’ App. It’s not causing an issue.

However, it’s clearly an issue to the OP, otherwise they wouldn’t have raised it.

I haven't used the Sonos controller app in a while, so relying on memory here: if you click on the button and go through the process of refusing to upgrade once, the button/banner goes away for good.

However, it’s clearly an issue to the OP, otherwise they wouldn’t have raised it.

I actually meant it’s not an issue in terms of the functionality that the App is intended to be used for.

I’m sure we all have views on different things and I accept it is often difficult to please all, but the mentioned banner does not affect the App’s ability to control/operate Sonos devices. It’s little more than an advertisement for the new Sonos S2 system.

I can’t argue against it, personally speaking, as the S1 App software is ‘free’ and comes with an undertaking from Sonos to provide security updates and to keep the in-built music services going for as long as is reasonably practicable. I see such an ‘advert’ as a very small price to pay for that service provision.

No less than ceo Spence is on record saying that customers have paid for that service in the price of the product they bought from Sonos.

Just saying...

No less than ceo Spence is on record saying that customers have paid for that service in the price of the product they bought from Sonos.

Absolutely….