Skip to main content

I’ve been awaiting a fix to whatever broke my Local Library support a few weeks ago. I had already applied the workaround since the April update, of sharing the local Music folder on the Mac as a network drive, then re-adding the library using that location. It had worked fine through May, June, and early July until the update then came which broke it.

So I’d like to try the new 80.06 version, but so far it’s only showing available for the Android or iOS versions. Has anyone seen info on when the MacOS version will come? I’m growing tired of only being able to listen to my Spotify or Pandora playlists.

I don’t personally think there is a MacOS (80.06.XX) version of the updated App due, as the fallback for that platform seems to be the new Sonos Web App, which has limited capabilities and is mainly just a basic controller App - you’re probably going to have to use an iOS/Android mobile/tablet controller to have the full functionality for your Sonos setup.

I don’t personally think there is a MacOS (80.06.XX) version of the updated App due, as the fallback for that platform seems to be the new Sonos Web App, which has limited capabilities and is mainly just a basic controller App - you’re probably going to have to use an iOS/Android mobile/tablet controller to have the full functionality for your Sonos setup.

Thanks Ken - has there been an announcement from Sonos ending support of desktop version OS support, e.g. MacOS and Windows? I haven’t seen that, but if you can point to that it would be great. There was a MacOS version of 80.01 as recently as two weeks ago.

I do have the iOS app running on multiple iPhones and iPads in the house on the same system, and with 80.01 I did try using the iOS app to add the local library (using the network path). It was much slower and in fact looked like it didn’t work at all, but then the next day the library was there - but I could still not access any tracks or playlists within it.

This makes me wonder, perhaps my understanding of how the Sonos software works is mistaken. When using the MacOS desktop app to add or re-index the local library (when it was working) - was that process actually running on the Mac, or was it just a Web container showing an HTML or Javascript UI and the process was running somewhere else - on the Sonos equipment? It had not occurred to me that this might be the case, I favored the Mac for accessing its own local music files for performance reasons, but if the software is not actually running there, then perhaps it doesn’t matter, as long as the functionality works (which it doesn’t, currently) on the network folder?

Thanks Ken - has there been an announcement from Sonos ending support of desktop version OS support, e.g. MacOS and Windows? I haven’t seen that, but if you can point to that it would be great. There was a MacOS version of 80.01 as recently as two weeks ago.

I do have the iOS app running on multiple iPhones and iPads in the house on the same system, and with 80.01 I did try using the iOS app to add the local library (using the network path). It was much slower and in fact looked like it didn’t work at all, but then the next day the library was there - but I could still not access any tracks or playlists within it.

This makes me wonder, perhaps my understanding of how the Sonos software works is mistaken. When using the MacOS desktop app to add or re-index the local library (when it was working) - was that process actually running on the Mac, or was it just a Web container showing an HTML or Javascript UI and the process was running somewhere else - on the Sonos equipment? It had not occurred to me that this might be the case, I favored the Mac for accessing its own local music files for performance reasons, but if the software is not actually running there, then perhaps it doesn’t matter, as long as the functionality works (which it doesn’t, currently) on the network folder?

The various Apps are merely remotes and assist with the library setup and index etc, but everything runs on and is part of the software installed on the Sonos hardware products. The apps can be closed and the indexing will continue.

Thanks!

I am happy to report that adding the library via the 80.06 version of the iOS app worked! (It didn’t work on 80.01). So - problem solved! I’m not sure this solves all problems others have reported, such as editing the playlist while it’s playing, or searching the library. I don’t do those things so can’t report their status.

So, what’s working is:

• Local library in Music folder on a Mac, shared on the network
  • Added that in as local lib via the 80.06 version of the iOS app
  • Waited about 30 minutes, then went back in
  • Was able to select a playlist from my local library, and then shuffle play it (on the iOS app, as usual)