Skip to main content

Hi all,

Firstly, I’m loving S2. Nice UX generally :)

I would like to request moving the "Your Library" section to top of "Spotify" section in "Browse" screen. I believe this will create a more natural user experience for Spotify users looking to access the lists they have created. It is also only a small section of menu headers, so scrolling past it to the Discovery Type headers would be easy for those who simply want to take advantage of Spotify’s Discovery tools. 

As it stands however, for me to find a list in my library that I haven’t added to “My Sonos” requires me to scroll for ages past all of the discovery headers down to the “Your Library” section. I actually didn’t even know this section existed anymore and only found it by sheer luck. I’ve shown my wife now how to find her lists and she agrees it’s in a difficult to find spot. 

Thanks for considering!

NOTES
- Device = Apple iPhone 8+
- Device OS = iOS ver 14.2
- Sonos app = S2 ver 12.2.1

It is Spotify that determine the order of their items in this list, nothing to do with Sonos.

Thanks for the reply @controlav bit I’m not sure that’s 100% accurate. I don’t have any coding ability so can’t review Spotify’s API myself. However I have seem more control over Spotify items in other apps so perhaps there are creative ways to achieve that level of control

It’s not Spotify’s API you should be looking at, it is Sonos’. controlav, having written several third party apps that connect with Sonos, including replacing the controller, probably is extremely aware of how that system works. You can see more information about the Sonos API at the Sonos partners page.

Hi @Airgetlam  and thanks for replying also! I don’t understand how @controlav can indicate that it is Spotify that dictate the order of their items in this list, while it not being outlined in their API? 

Please check out “crowdDJ” in both iOS and Android app stores. It’s free to download and allows users to connect to commercial media services. It uses Spotify’s public API to allow users to see their Spotify lists and essentially find equivalent songs on those commercial media players. 

The reason I suggest this is they clearly control the space to limit what the user sees to only their lists - none of the discovery items. I would assume that such an approach would be possible by Sonos

Possible, certainly. But since Sonos uses a single API for hundreds of different services, writing case specific sorting code would not be valuable, and challenging to maintain as each service would make changes as they wanted to. 

I’m not saying your request is a bad idea, at all. I’m just suggesting it’s unlikely to be implemented. 

So I have just got some more detailed information on the way crowdDJ have implemented their Spotify list management. In short, they actually create their own lists and populate them with songs pulled from the Spotify lists draw from their API. As such, what you see in the app are “native” crowdDJ lists, not actual Spotify lists - I hope I have articulated that well enough. In this case then yeah, I would imagine it would probably be challenging to maintain across a high number of integrated services. 

In which case, I yield to @controlav ‘s original assertion that it’s all in Spotify’s control. That’s a shame really as the UX as it currently stands is unfortunately just a tad awkward.

Update: I have half a workaround. I only just noticed that you can add “your library” to My Sonos which makes it very easy to access. However, my wife and I both have Spotify accounts connected to Sonos and you seem to only be able to add a single “your library”. 

It would be ace to be able to add many and have them named per Spotify account. Ie “Ben’s library” etc