Answered

Beta version 7

• 1 November 2016
  • 23 replies

I eagerly downloaded the new beta version 7 onto my iPhone this morning. But see no difference in how it plays Spotify. The settings 'About my Sonos System' says I am still on v6.4.8 which suggests the update has not worked. It went through the update and reconfiguration process on the iphone. I used the url in the email (to be used in cases where update fails) to download the dmg file to my phone but then it asks where I want to open it - Notes, Dropbox, iCloud with no option to open it on the phone. Can anyone please help me.

Thanks in anticipation
icon

Best answer by jgatie 1 November 2016, 18:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-70-now-entering-public-beta-for-android-mac-and-windows-pcs-6755181

Read the second paragraph in the announcement.
Sonos public betas are almost exclusively Android/Mac/Windows only, due to Apple rules concerning public betas for iOS devices. Though you can load the beta on your system, the new controller app will only be available for Android devices. In addition, your iOS devices will be in limited compatibility mode, with most of your Settings menus greyed out. If you own no Android devices, this beta is probably of no use to you, and you should un-enroll. See more info here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3354/?_ga=1.159790011.747021966.1461070270
You know, for a couple of hours there I actually forgot what a new beta release means for the forum...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yep..
If you own no Android devices, this beta is probably of no use to you, and you should un-enroll.

While I understand the point your trying to make in the context of the original question regarding an iOS device, I'd suggest a more accurate statement is:

"If you own no Android devices or Mac or Windows computers running the Spotify desktop application, this beta is probably of no use to you..."
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There was a user that said by updating to the beta on his Mac it did allow the Spotify direct access functionality on his iPhone Spotify app (even without the ios beta on his phone). I can't confirm that but that is what was posted.
Installing beta 7 on 2 android devices produced no icon on the home screens. Is this a known bug?
Installing beta 7 on 2 android devices produced no icon on the home screens. Is this a known bug?
Did you try removing the old controller first?
Thank you ratty.

I did remove the old controllers on both android devices before installing beta 7. I have again uninstalled both devices and then re-installed beta 7 from your emailed link. Again, neither devices has an icon on the home screen!
Did the app actually install? If it did you can always add its icon yourself.

Note that you will need to permit installation from unknown sources in your security settings to use the downloaded APK.
Thanks again Ratty

My ongoing concern is that there appears to be a bug.

To answer your questions: Yes the APK app did install successfully on both android devices, and I did have to 'permit installation from unknown sources'.
Bug concerns should also be reported via the beta feedback form. Submit a diagnostic and fill out the form to make sure the proper info reaches the beta engineers.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/beta
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Mikesonos- Is the new Sonos controller version in your app list? Mine goes at the end by default. Because the beta install procedure requires uninstall followed by a new install I lose my desktop icon too. I just drag it from the apps list to the desktop every time. I don't think it's a bug, but the procedure to install new beta versions could be a lot simpler.
Thanks Johnseay.
There was a user that said by updating to the beta on his Mac it did allow the Spotify direct access functionality on his iPhone Spotify app (even without the ios beta on his phone). I can't confirm that but that is what was posted.

I can confirm this was also the case with iOS devices. But only when connected to the same wifi network as my Mac running the beta. If I disconnect the iPhone or iPad and try using my data connection they don't see the sonos. I've popped in a screenshot.

L
It works sometimes!

I have a mac/iOS network and updated to beta 7 from my mac. Spotify (both on the mac and on my iOS devices) sometimes sees the sonos system, sometimes not. All on the same network (although the sonos is connected through a CONNECT).

Frustrating, 'cos when it works it is so much nicer running the music from the spotify app.
I've just updated to Beta 7. I use Mac, iPhone and iPad for controlling SONOS and have Spotify access via all three devices also.

I've understood (I think) that I won't be able to use the Spotify enhancement on the iPhone and iPad but reading this thread I thought it would work from the Mac. However when I open Spotify on the Mac and play something I get the 'Devices Available' icon which shows that Spotify Connect can see my iPhone and iPad but there's no sign of any of my SONOS gear (Bridge and 7 speakers).

Am I missing something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Some have said you can update from Mac and that Spotify then on iOS devices will work.
thanks Chris - that would be a bonus - at the moment I've not managed to get it working on the Mac !!
Every time a new release comes out my play bar decides it no longer resides in a room annoyingly, it vanishes from all controllers, android/Windows and even basic functionality on IOS, it simply vanishes and then I have to faff to set it up again.

I'm sure it will all be worth it when Sonos finally releases the Alexa hook in 🙂
Every time a new release comes out my play bar decides it no longer resides in a room annoyingly, it vanishes from all controllers, android/Windows and even basic functionality on IOS, it simply vanishes and then I have to faff to set it up again.
Any disappearing devices after an update are almost certainly caused by a duplicated IP address.

The Sonos devices reboots which are part of the upgrade process have a habit of exposing such latent issues, generally caused by a router having been rebooted earlier with the loss of its IP lease information. When the Sonos component restarts the router unknowingly hands it an address which is already in use.

Go into your router's config and reserve/fix the IP addresses for all your Sonos devices and whatever you use as controllers. Most routers should permit this. Hopefully you'll have no more faffing.
Cheers 🙂 The router shouldn't have this issue being that it runs DHCP and every time a component attaches to it the first thing it does is ask or an IP address but I do see the logic, will go through and give all my devices fixed IP's 🙂 Cheers buddy
Cheers 🙂 The router shouldn't have this issue being that it runs DHCP and every time a component attaches to it the first thing it does is ask or an IP address but I do see the logic, will go through and give all my devices fixed IP's 🙂 Cheers buddy
That's precisely why dupes occur. A DHCP server often forgets which IPs it's assigned earlier if the router is rebooted.

Some modern routers calculate an IP from the MAC address, meaning that the same IP tends to get handed out each time a device asks for it. This can mitigate the risk of duplicates. It's safer though to reserve fixed IPs.