Question

Best way to find classical music recording in Sonos app?

• 2 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi all, I am struggling to find pieces of classical music in the Sonos app using my Apple Music account. For example, if I want to find Saint Saens Organ Symphony played by Jonathan Scott, what do I search for? Do I search for artist, track, album etc? Maybe someone can find it and let me know how they did it! Maybe this actual recording isn't in Apple Music, but how would I know this? It seems to me that classical music is not well catered for by Sonos/Apple Music, but may be I am just using it wrong. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, FredBloggs. Welcome to the community. If the recording is available through Apple Music, any of those search terms would suffice. In this case, Artist would be Jonathan Scott, of course. Were you not successful in doing so? You may be quite right in saying that this track is not on that streaming service. However, searching for the artist will always reveal it if that artist is available.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
A follow on question please. With classical music, if I want to find all the recordings of music by Saint Saens or Mozart, what do I search for? Or if I want to find all pieces by a certain conductor or orchestra, what do I search for? Am I right in thinking the Sonos/Apple Music apps are not really very good for classical music content? Thanks.
Hi all, I am struggling to find pieces of classical music in the Sonos app using my Apple Music account. For example, if I want to find Saint Saens Organ Symphony played by Jonathan Scott, what do I search for? Do I search for artist, track, album etc? Maybe someone can find it and let me know how they did it! Maybe this actual recording isn't in Apple Music, but how would I know this? It seems to me that classical music is not well catered for by Sonos/Apple Music, but may be I am just using it wrong. Thanks.

I have the same feeling. In addition to the insistence on separating classical works into their movements and leaving them floating around independently, it is very difficult to find classical pieces through Search in either Apple or Amazon. I tried searching for Peer Gynt in both and got NOTHING. Yet I know I played a movement just a few weeks ago.

Any help or hints about searching these two sources for classical pieces would be appreciated.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi, I have to be honest with you. As you can see from the lack of interest in this thread it is a significant problem if you want to listen to classical music. Or say, as in my case Jonathan Scott/Scott brothers. I have resorted on occasion to using YouTube but that is a very poor solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I would recommend the PC or Mac Sonos apps for this, it offers a more granular Search feature (by music service, by composer) than the mobile apps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not lack of interest in classical music, lack of interest in Apple Music.

If your interests expand to Napster I I can tell you they have three pieces by Scott and none of them are what you are looking for.

This older topic suggests some services, compare with what Sonos offers and maybe look for a newer suggestion?

https://www.talkclassical.com/43677-whats-best-service-streaming.html
I tried searching for Peer Gynt in both and got NOTHING. Yet I know I played a movement just a few weeks ago.

Any help or hints about searching these two sources for classical pieces would be appreciated.
I just searched 'Songs' for Peer Gynt on my Android controller and got loads of versions from GPM and Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Have you tried the "Classical Archives" service? https://www.classicalarchives.com/secure/cma_on_sonos.html