Skip to main content
Question

best trueplay tuning technique?

• 1 January 2018
  • 4 replies

I did it once by slowly moving my ipad around, keeping it generally pointed towards the sonos. Seemed to work well.

Had a "pro" come by to install my playbase, and he waved his iPhone around like a manic, pointing it in all different directions, waving it quickly. Could be my imagination or bad memory, but it seemed worse this way.

In general, what's the best way to move the device around when tuning?
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, robokitty. Thanks for your post. You're quite right, it could be that his technique resulted in a poorer capability of your system to make optimal use of the Trueplay functionality. We recommend doing it as is shown in the introductory video. Can you give that a go for us and see if matters improve?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I would, but I can't find that video anywhere. Not on the sonos site, can't find it on youtube. I'm afraid to initiate re-tune on the the app, because I don't know if it will immediately start tuning, or will show me the video again...
It will show you the video before you start tuning. And you can 'retune' as many times as you'd like.
I believe that the video only shows the first time a speaker is tuned; I could be wrong. But I am sure there are plenty of them on YouTube. It isn't rocket science, just move the reversed i-device slowly up and down with a straightish arm aimed in the direction of the unit, and the walls adjacent to it which is where most of the reflected sound will come from. At a distance of about 8 feet from the unit/walls, walking around such that the mic on the phone faces the walls all the time.