Skip to main content

Hi all,

I recently got a Beam and I wanted to connect it with my existing S1 system consisting of two Play:1’s.

Although the compatibility page (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US) states that the Beam can work with both S1 and S2, when I try to add it to the existing S1 system I get the the below error.

Is there any work around to allow connecting the Beam with my S1 controller?

About Beam
This product is only compatible with the Sonos S2 app. It isn’t compatible with your Sonos S1 Controller. 
You can:

• Review options for updating your system.
  • Download the Sonos S2 app and set up a separate system with Beam

Thanks

Did you buy the Beam new or pre-owned? I would only expect that message if the Beam had been part of an S2 system already. 

It’s fresh out of the box from the sonos online store. I used my android (9) phone to try and set it up. 

I got fed up at some point, downloaded the S2 controller app and set up the beam as a single system. Oddly the sound was terrible. Weak bass (even at highest EQ setting) and generally sounded like a cheap bluetooth speaker. So I performed a factory reset and tried it again with m y S1 app...No luck.

However, somehow, when I used my wife’s phone (android 10) I was able to set up the beam within my existing S1 system. No clue why it worked with her phone, although it’s the exact same app (11.2.4). After setting it up with S1 on her phone, the sound was way better as well. No comparison than under S2. 

Happy in the end that it worked and I can use it with my phone, but I’m left confused...

Sonos speakers will sound identical under S1 and S2 unless some other factor was involved. I have run a Beam under S2 and it was fine.

The difference between the two phones may have been random or down to some setting, eg whether location services were enabled. 

Anyway, you have sorted it out now, which is all that really matters.