Skip to main content

Why can't I "airplay" BBC Sounds using my samsung android device. There is more than one mobile significant smartphone phone provider

Why can't I "airplay" BBC Sounds using my samsung android device. There is more than one mobile significant smartphone phone provider

Well, as Airplay is an Apple proprietary communications protocol, you could ask them!:upside_down:  

And you could ask the BBC why they don’t choose to provide the “Sounds” content via the normal Sonos interface. 

Thanks all.  I have asked the BEEB as well.  I get fed up of organisations sorting stuff out for Apple but not Android. It would be a refreshing change for all these organisations to sort themselves out without having to be chased.  They are all big corporations with plenty of clever people working for them.  In this day and age I simply expected the connectivity to be there as a given.  I continue to live in hope

I’d certainly agree with your frustration. 

There is a case for saying that it would be good if Sonos had a casting solution for Android. But it simply cannot be Airplay until Apple allow Airplay to be installed on non-Apple devices. Expect to see Hell freeze over before that happens. 

I am finding most of the posts related to BBC Sounds App confusing. Is it a Sonos issue, a BBC issue, an Apple issue or a user issue where the user has declined to pay out a not insignificant sum to ‘upgrade’ a system they bought in good faith before Sonos changed the users experience?

The BBC changed the user experience when using Voice.

I am finding most of the posts related to BBC Sounds App confusing. Is it a Sonos issue, a BBC issue, an Apple issue or a user issue where the user has declined to pay out a not insignificant sum to ‘upgrade’ a system they bought in good faith before Sonos changed the users experience?

You certainly are confused if you think this is potentially an Apple issue, as was the OP on this thread, as it is discussing Android devices.  I don’t know what change to the user’s experience you think Sonos has made that is relevant to this issue - please would you clarify?

@RPlum14 - btw, if you want to play BBC Sounds through Sonos…. according to your profile you have a Play:5.  You could connect a Bluetooth receiver to the line-in and send the audio via Bluetooth to any speaker in your system.

I've configured my Echo dot to use my Sonos speakers as the default speaker (using my Android tablet). So now I just ask Alexa on my Echo dot to open up BBC Sounds and ask for whichever station or programme I want to listen to, and it plays through my Sonos. No need to use the BBC Sounds Android app.