BBC radio on TuneIn going away March 22nd 2021

Show first post

92 replies

Badge

Great news James, thank you for your prompt response.  I just hope it remains and the BBC does not block this feed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great news James, thank you for your prompt response.  I just hope it remains and the BBC does not block this feed.

If you read their posts, the BBC will be retiring this feed. The issue is what alternative feed(s) will be available on Sonos, and how exactly.

Although it goes beyond the scope of this thread, it has been pointed out a couple of times here that iOS users can Airplay the BBC Sounds app to compatible Sonos speakers.  This allows live streams to be played, as well as all the on demand stuff in BBC Sounds.

There are some other options available to some users for getting the full range of BBC Sounds content, depending on which Sonos products they have.  There may be other methods I have missed.  They include:

1. Bluetooth to the Move
  2. Connecting your phone / tablet by cable to any Sonos device that has a line in
  3. As point 2, except plug in a Bluetooth receiver and use Bluetooth rather than a physical cable connection.
  4. Use the built-in BBC Sounds app on your TV (if available) to play through a Sonos HT speaker (and group to other speakers if wished)
  5. As point 4, but using the BBC Sounds app on your media streamer.

The BBC Sounds app is now becoming more common on TVs (although not universal).  The app is available on some media streamers too, including at least some Amazon Fire Sticks and the Now TV stick.

Edit: add Chromecast 4K HDMI dongles to the list.  I have also been able to play BBC Sounds to my nVidea Shield Pro (and hence to my Sonos Arc), as that has built-in Chromecast.

Hey everyone,

Just a quick update on this subject. We’re still working with TuneIn to resolve any changes that the BBC are putting in place and hope to have a resolution soon.

In the meantime, we can suggest a work-around so that you no longer hear the hourly reminder.

If you’re in the following regions, you can add the RadioPlayer service on Sonos to play BBC Live Radio. RadioPlayer is a free service partly owned by the BBC and so far doesn’t appear to have the hourly reminder present.

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Gibraltar
  • Guernsey
  • Isle of Man
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • Jersey
  • Norway
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

Thanks James but I’m in Belgium and no BBC stations are on the Radioplayer list, only local ones. Is Radioplayer being adapted to include the BBC, or is there a workaround to access BBC stations on Radioplayer? 

I’m just trying RadioPlayer as the service to provide BBC Radio, so far after 2 hours no annoying message. Is this a temp solution so glad I didn’t pay extra for HD Sonos Radio.

Try using the RadioPlayer Service, so far no annoying messages on BBC Radio 2

I cannot find RadioPlayer listed under “Add Music Services”. Any ideas please?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I cannot find RadioPlayer listed under “Add Music Services”. Any ideas please?

Perhaps you already have it selected which is why it no longer appears under Add Music Services.

Worth checking. 

Thanks for replying but I only have Sonos Radio and You Tube Music installed

I’d double check your Sonos account settings, and make sure you have the country and post/zip code listed. Sonos uses that data as a filter to determine what choices are shown to you. If for any reason that data is blank, you don’t always see all your normal choices. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Just heard the same thing this morning and equally worried so would really appreciate some help.

Ditto about iPhone options not being applicable.

Within Services on Sonos iOS add Radioplayer. This then appears under Music & Content. Within Radioplayer find say BBC Radio 2, and add this to Sonos favourites. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just heard the same thing this morning and equally worried so would really appreciate some help.

Within Services on Sonos iOS add Radioplayer. This then appears under Music & Content. Within Radioplayer find say BBC Radio 2, and add this to Sonos favourites. 

Thanks Mike, I have successfully managed to do that!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks Mike, I have successfully managed to do that!

Thats good, a simple work around. Hopefully the stations will remain on Realplayer!

Stay safe

I’d double check your Sonos account settings, and make sure you have the country and post/zip code listed. Sonos uses that data as a filter to determine what choices are shown to you. If for any reason that data is blank, you don’t always see all your normal choices. 

Thanks very much. That worked for me, although I had to change my settings on the Sonos website as there was no option to do that on my the Android phone app. It did not appear immediately, but is there now.

Yea, that data isn’t available on a controller, either mobile or desktop, unfortunately. It does require logging in to the Sonos website. Glad it worked for you!

Badge +17

Hi again everyone,

TuneIn have informed us that the BBC have been in touch to help them make the changes required to maintain BBC live stations on their service. They’ve made the requested changes to their streams this morning, so listeners shouldn’t hear the hourly message any more.

I’d like to know if anyone streaming live BBC Radio through TuneIn has heard this message since 9AM GMT this morning (9th March 2021). Please double-check that your radio streams are coming through TuneIn and not RadioPlayer or MyTunerRadio for the purposes of this test. You should see a little TuneIn icon on your Now Playing screen to verify this.

That’s encouraging.  I was a bit concerned as I use Sonos primarily to listen to BBC Radio and I’m on Sonos 1 with 4 Zone Players

This morning the message was repeated at so we are not quite there yet.

Badge +17

This morning the message was repeated at so we are not quite there yet.

Hi @Jedalb2,

Can you please confirm that you heard the message when listening on TuneIn? Or were you listening to a different radio service? Also, which BBC station were you listening to and approximately what time did you hear the message?

Oh, i was on Sonos Radio 4.  I guess I should switch to Tunein?

Badge +17

Oh, i was on Sonos Radio 4.  I guess I should switch to Tunein?

I’ve sent you a private message to gather some more information :relaxed:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Does this also fix the repeating issue when listening BBC Radio 2. The station jumps back 10 seconds or so, I have only recently experienced this issue

Badge +17

Does this also fix the repeating issue when listening BBC Radio 2. The station jumps back 10 seconds or so, I have only recently experienced this issue

Hi @leedebs, no, that’s a separate issue from this one. You can follow the dedicated topic for that here:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @leedebs, no, that’s a separate issue from this one. You can follow the dedicated topic for that here:

ok thanks.

So we either live with BBC Radio 2 skipping backwards on Tunein but no message every hour or so telling us the service will be unavailable from 22nd March or we put up with the hourly message on BBC Radio via Radioplayer or Mytuner radio……..

Badge +17

Hi @leedebs, no, that’s a separate issue from this one. You can follow the dedicated topic for that here:

ok thanks.

So we either live with BBC Radio 2 skipping backwards on Tunein but no message every hour or so telling us the service will be unavailable from 22nd March or we put up with the hourly message on BBC Radio via Radioplayer or Mytuner radio……..

You shouldn’t be hearing the message nor experiencing skip-backs on the Radioplayer service. Can you test this and let me know if you do experience either of those?