Skip to main content

I’ve been using Tune In via my Sonos app and software for many years now with much success. I’m currently using the Sonos S1 Controller on my laptop and the app on my Samsung S8 Android phone. Most of the Tune In stations work fine but when I went to listen to the Auburn Football pregame show this past Saturday afternoon on Tune In via  the Sonos S1 Controller or app I got a message that said - Auburn Football and below that - Auburn University - AUSN Identifier 1. This is the first time I haven’t been able to listen to the Auburn pregame show using Sonos and Tune In so I was surprised. For the most part any other Tune In station on Sonos worked perfectly fine. I deleted the Auburn Network on Tune In and added Auburn Football back but no luck. I’m still getting the same message and no audio - Auburn University - AUSN Identifier 1. Can you please help me to resolve this issue? Thanks very much. 

Have you checked the TuneIn web browser to see if it is available there? I used to use TuneIn to listen to the San Francisco Giants play baseball, this year TuneIn decided not to pay for the opportunity to broadcast the station while they were playing MLB. I’m wondering if they didn’t pay for the privilege of broadcasting Auburn Football, either.

For what it is worth, this isn’t likely a Sonos problem, but a TuneIn problem. You’re better off lodging a complaint with TuneIn. 

Airgetlam - thanks for your follow-up. I did lodge a complaint with Tune In and this was their response (after confusing Auburn with an NFL team) -

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any further detail regarding our partnership agreements.

I’ll try the Tune In app on my Android phone to see if I can pick up Auburn that way. 

Tune In via Sonos was nice as it streams throughput my home and even out on our deck. I’m not able to do that from my phone as far as I know although I do have a Sonos Connect and I’ve noted that there is a Line In feature. I wonder if I can get it on my phone if I can just LIne into the back of the Connect and stream throughout my home that way? Your thoughts? Thanks very much. 

If you can find the URL they stream on you could add as a Manual radio Station to Sonos.

I had to poke around on the TuneIn website to find out they’d dropped MLB, their customer service had no clue, I’m pretty sure it was outsourced to people who didn’t understand. At the time, I was a ‘premium’ subscriber, so I also tried streaming in the TuneIn app on my iOS device, which didn’t work, and finally on the TuneIn website, which didn’t work. 

After flailing around some, I found MLB on iHeart radio, which I could use voice control on my echo dots to send to Sonos, or just the Sonos controller. But eventually, I ended up using the radio station’s app, which wasn’t geo blocked, and used AirPlay 2 to send it to a pair of PLAY:5s.

Thats a lot of words.

TL:DR, it wasn’t a Sonos problem, and I had to do some legwork/ research to resolve it. 

Airgetlam - I was in touch with the Auburn Football Network this morning and here is what they had to say:

We distribute the broadcast through a satellite studio in Arizona – Skyview. They’ve sent the audio directly to Tunein since 2016, and previously it’s been pretty reliable. We got multiple notifications Saturday that people weren’t able to hear us on Tunein, so we reached out to them.  Tunein told us that they were no longer receiving the audio from Skyview the same way, so this morning we made sure Tunein and Skyview are in touch with each other and actively working on the solution.  I expect to get an update today with confirmation that the situation is resolved and won’t be an issue going forward.  That’s my expectation. 

In the meantime, I've activated my iHeart Radio account on Sonos and added a few Auburn Stations in the event that TuneIn isn't able to correct their issues. What a great suggestion!

I’d like to thank you and Bockersjv for your input and guidance. I’m ready for this Saturday whatever it may bring!

Hope one of these avenues works for you, glad to have provided some options. It’s always an issue when you’re dealing with companies that just aggregate links….you’re depending on them to have correct and workable links, and with the millions of changes that occur across the net, it can be hard for them to keep up. And frequently, they seem to depend on customer feedback to point out the issues, rather than developing some more intelligent monitoring. 

Airgetlam - I wholeheartedly agree. You’ve been a BIG help. Thanks again! 

Airgetlam - I’m happy to report that the Auburn Network is back on my Sonos app via TuneIn as of this morning. Just in time for tomorrow's game. Thanks again for your assistance!