Are you happy with the 3.0 update?

• 28 July 2009
  • 61 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Has everybody e-mailed customer service and requested that they work on it? The squeaky wheel gets the oil and Sonos seems to actually care what their customers think.

I'm not saying it's an easy snap your fingers fix. I don't think designing this system was easy either. They seem to have gotten more right than other companies have. I'm sure they could figure something out if it was deemed a priority.

Sonos has actually raised the limit twice already. I don't think they have much to play with anymore. But they are hearing you. Maybe with having all the "old" (ZP80/100/CR100) hardware phased out by now, there is a possibility for improvements, but I am not sure whether it is a legacy they can get rid off whilst keeping all older components working.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I voted indifferent. I got what I paid for.

It cost me nothing, I got nothing. Actually, I got some icons I don't like and an annoying "more music" option that gets in the way.

So indifferent, but borderline no...but it was free.
Badge
Since I won't be throwing away over $300.00 for the CR200, this update is like practically all the iTunes updates that I've done over the last 3 years. The update doesn't add new functionality to my existing Sonos equipment, it only adds the ability to use the "new" CR200.

iTunes did this all the time everytime Apple put out a new player, or the Apple TV or whatever the heck it's called.

But then again I can't complain. I pick up my old but reliable CR100, press play and it WORKS!

Amazing, it like my land-line telephone. It's an appliance that works when you pick it up. Unlike iTunes, and AirTunes, which never was reliable nor consistent.

Frank
Badge +2
... redesign the icons....I just noticed that the new icons for zones appear only on the Desktop Controller (Windows) and not on the CR100 controllers which still show the more distinctive icons such as a carton of popcorn (media room) and a computer (office).

Maybe another thing that slipped through QA, but I do prefer the old icons.
Userlevel 2
I thought there was supposed to be an expanded music information funciton on 3.0 but I can't seem to locate it...

Anyone else see it.. what am I missing.

Dave
Userlevel 1
Badge
CR200 only. We will have to start getting used to this. Bummer.

I thought there was supposed to be an expanded music information funciton on 3.0 but I can't seem to locate it...

Anyone else see it.. what am I missing.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Originally Posted by justintime
ANyone else notice the 3.0 update on the CR100 yields a less responsive Controller?!

+ 1 and please change my vote from "Indifferent" to "Not Happy at all" !!!
Userlevel 2
I can't answer this question, there are way too many interpretations;
I might answer yes because the process works flawlessly.
I Might answer no because it doesn't offer any new functionality.

A better question would be: does this upgrade show you that Sonos listens to the requests on this forum.
My answer would be NO!

btw: i did buy the CR200, it works fine. No surprises, hopefully Sonos will spend the money they are making on it on new functionality!

A better question would be: does this upgrade show you that Sonos listens to the requests on this forum.
My answer would be NO!

People have been asking for the ability to search an artist's entire catalog by selecting a single track. They've also been looking for a way to see similar music from a track selection. Both of these have been implemented in Rhapsody, and to a lesser extent, in Napster and Last.FM, for both the iPhone and CR200. This may not apply to you, but that's 2 huge Sound Ideas inspired items that many people will find very useful.

Not to mention people have been lamenting the "dated" CR100 for years now, and the clarion call for a touchscreen was long and loud before the iPhone app diminished it some. Whether you define it as "new functionality" or not, the CR200 was a major effort. Again, it may not apply to all, but it is certainly an effort by Sonos. For me, the update didn't give me more than I already have, but I'll never say it has nothing new. That would be as absurd as the guy dismissing the update that included the iPhone app and Radiotime as "useless" and "nothing new", just because he personally used a Blackberry and didn't listen to internet radio.
Userlevel 2
People have been asking for the ability to search an artist's entire catalog by selecting a single track. They've also been looking for a way to see similar music from a track selection. Both of these have been implemented in Rhapsody, and to a lesser extent, in Napster and Last.FM, for both the iPhone and CR200. This may not apply to you, but that's 2 huge Sound Ideas inspired items that many people will find very useful.

Indeed it doen't apply to me since I can't register to these services (non US)... (granted,this is not a sonos issue)

Not to mention people have been lamenting the "dated" CR100 for years now, and the clarion call for a touchscreen was long and loud before the iPhone app diminished it some. Whether you define it as "new functionality" or not, the CR200 was a major effort.

The CR200 does not apply to the question, however I do agree it was surely a major effort. I didn't expect anything less for a ($/€) 349 device!
The CR200 does not apply to the question, however I do agree it was surely a major effort. I didn't expect anything less for a ($/€) 349 device!

This is the second time this has come up and I have to say I do not agree the CR200 does not apply to update 3.0. The main reason for 3.0 was a major hardware change - support for the CR200. Say 5000 man hours were required to change the software to include support for the CR200. That's 5000 man hours that were not used on other items.

Now I can't be sure, but Sonos probably does not like developers sitting around doing nothing. So if the CR200 was not on the agenda, they would have been working on some other aspect of the system, possibly even some other Sound Idea items. The fact that some people derive "nothing useful" from update 3.0 may be directly due to the fact 3.0 had to support the CR200, thus all efforts concentrated on that one goal. Nothing is done in a vacuum, and a development team only has so many hours in a day (usually spending a lot more of them working than most people, but the limit is still only 24 ;)).
Userlevel 2
CR200 only. We will have to start getting used to this. Bummer.

Bummer...
Userlevel 2
This is the second time this has come up and I have to say I do not agree the CR200 does not apply to update 3.0. The main reason for 3.0 was a major hardware change - support for the CR200. Say 5000 man hours were required to change the software to include support for the CR200. That's 5000 man hours that were not used on other items.

Now I can't be sure, but Sonos probably does not like developers sitting around doing nothing. So if the CR200 was not on the agenda, they would have been working on some other aspect of the system, possibly even some other Sound Idea items. The fact that some people derive "nothing useful" from update 3.0 may be directly due to the fact 3.0 had to support the CR200, thus all efforts concentrated on that one goal. Nothing is done in a vacuum, and a development team only has so many hours in a day (usually spending a lot more of them working than most people, but the limit is still only 24 ;)).

I appreciate your homble opinion, the poll however is about the upgrade. Unless you have more data to back up your statements you shouldn't bundle this poll with the CR200.
I appreciate your homble opinion, the poll however is about the upgrade. Unless you have more data to back up your statements you shouldn't bundle this poll with the CR200.

Are you saying 3.0 update did not include support for the CR200 controller? Because I believe this proves it does:

In addition to enabling the new features of the CR200, Sonos 3.0 allows the CR200 to work seamlessly with any existing Sonos Controllers, including the CR100, Sonos Controller for iPhone and Sonos Controller for Mac or PC.

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=13596

Sounds to me like the primary function of 3.0 is enabling the CR200, followed by integrating CR200 operation with the other controllers.
Userlevel 2
Does anyone know if there were any bug fixes with 3.0?

It seemed like when I went to 2.8, the sonos seemed to hang more often, whether it was internet radio, pandora or streaming from my music library. Since I have old hardware, is there any benefit to go to 3.0? The release notes are very generic.

It would be great to see the engineering version of them that showed what was fixed and any know limitations. I understand they probably would not want to release notes that may sound like the product has problems but for techies like me, I would find it beneficial...
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd hold off an wait a little... suggest you don't update to 3.0 because with older hardware and old controller CR100 you won't see any benefits... furthermore, I have noticed some issues with the 3.0 upgrade myself, to the point that I regret upgrading altogether.

That's just *my* opinion, and no one else's, but since you're asking for opinions, there you have it!

I also agree 100% I wish Sonos would release technical notes on each upgrade... that's quite common thing to do in this 'market', and we all know electronics and software are not perfect, so no point in hiding the fixed bugs. In fact, I'd say its a positive feeling to see bugs listed and fixed!

In my case, I have found several things that I am trying to troubleshoot in 3.0, but since I have no tech notes I am just 'blind'... I notice differences in the scrollwheel code, (annoying!) but no release notes to even determine whether there was intentional change or not... oh well, it's a real waste of my time, but I want the product to improve -- so I don't give up.

Does anyone know if there were any bug fixes with 3.0?

It seemed like when I went to 2.8, the sonos seemed to hang more often, whether it was internet radio, pandora or streaming from my music library. Since I have old hardware, is there any benefit to go to 3.0? The release notes are very generic.

It would be great to see the engineering version of them that showed what was fixed and any know limitations. I understand they probably would not want to release notes that may sound like the product has problems but for techies like me, I would find it beneficial...
Badge
Voted yes because it updated and not much changed and it simply worked as before. Usually products 'upgrades' breaks things and makes a product a newfound Time Vampire. If i wanted another Time Vampire, i'd get Sony's "Stupid POS That Doesn't Do the G.D. Thing It's... Supposed To".

As for the icons, seems like someone was going for classic old-school European. My opinion of the icons... meh.

(Humor below)
In the future, the Bathroom icon would be a man standing in front of the toilet doing his business.

Livingroom could be a HUGE flat panel TV.. or an extensive drumset/percussion in my case. An optional icon could be a Lay-Z-Boy recliner and a 6-pack of beer.

Master Bedroom could be an icon of, eh hem, a swing.

Office should be an icon of Satan... or a jail cell. Bonus points if you make it a rotating gif between the two images.

Kitchen could be an image of butcher's knife... or classic La Pavoni hand/manual cappuccino machine (preferably the gold one with rosewood handles. Très magnifique!).

Outdoor should be an icon of a butterfly, or swimming pool... or that Chevy on blocks that is rusting away. Added bonus points if the icon's rust slowly envelopes the car.

Garage should be an image of a Ferrari... or wife's Soccer Mom thing because, well, she gets her half of the garage as my half is filled with commercial-grade tall Craftsman toolboxes, garbage cans, the bicycles, various outdoor sports equipment... and this big box of assorted 'stuff' that must weight 75 lbs we never use yet must never be thrown out either.
Userlevel 2
I'd hold off an wait a little... suggest you don't update to 3.0 because with older hardware and old controller CR100 you won't see any benefits... furthermore, I have noticed some issues with the 3.0 upgrade myself, to the point that I regret upgrading altogether.

Thanks, read a bunch of different posts and decided to hold off on the code load...
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

That's just *my* opinion, and no one else's, but since you're asking for opinions, there you have it!

I agree, hold off on the upgrade unless you need to use a CR200.

I also agree 100% I wish Sonos would release technical notes on each upgrade...

+1
Badge +9
Garage should be an image of a Ferrari... or wife's Soccer Mom thing

so your Ferrari is relegated to parking on the street, eh? 😉
Userlevel 2
I LOVE Sonos, am probably one of its best walking commercials as we entertain a lot. On this new update to 3.0 (I'm on the original controller) I can no longer simply select a playlist with the wheel button and add to cue. I have to scroll through playlist and then remember to select the bottom row button for "Add to queue". I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I do wish Sonos and Apple would get cozier as in general the interface is still clunky. I would also like to control the view of my playlists more. We have three different computers in the house feeding the system, and I'd love more control over the imported playlists as far as what is seen etc.
I LOVE Sonos, am probably one of its best walking commercials as we entertain a lot. On this new update to 3.0 (I'm on the original controller) I can no longer simply select a playlist with the wheel button and add to cue. I have to scroll through playlist and then remember to select the bottom row button for "Add to queue". I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I do wish Sonos and Apple would get cozier as in general the interface is still clunky. I would also like to control the view of my playlists more. We have three different computers in the house feeding the system, and I'd love more control over the imported playlists as far as what is seen etc.

This has been acknowledged by Sonos and is being looked into. Here's the thread:

CR100 missing 'All Tracks' under Imported Playlists in 3.0
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
1. right after the update, all 3 CR100 controllers have a slow/delayed volume indicators.
2. do NOT like the "more music" listing, just adds more visual noise, and I'd like to be able to delete that as I've already set the services I want.
3. Sonos Playlists now don't function correctly on all 3 CR100s, and playlist just disappear for no apparent reason.

Net, this is NOT an improvement but a downgrade for my current system.

TS claims that 3.0 did not cause these issues.
Hope they find a way to let some of us go back to 2.8 which worked well for my system.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just noticed that the new icons for zones appear only on the Desktop Controller (Windows) and not on the CR100 controllers which still show the more distinctive icons such as a carton of popcorn (media room) and a computer (office).

Maybe another thing that slipped through QA, but I do prefer the old icons.

I also don't like the new icons in the WIN app, the old icons were a much more clearer indication of the rooms!

Sonos, for sake of clarity please gives us the old icons back!
Badge
so your Ferrari is relegated to parking on the street, eh? ;-)

Well, since you asked... Actually it was sold because the Formula 2000 was so much better at the road course tracks i frequent.