Skip to main content

I realize this is probably on Apple‘s end of things, but are we seriously stuck using the Sonos app to get Apple Music atmos audio? Kinda sucks we can’t cast Atmos songs to the Arc, in a similar fashion to the way that Spotify works. I know about AppleTV, but that’s not the most ideal. The Apple Music app seems to only allow Airplay. 

Indeed, that’s on Apple. Not much Sonos can do to change what Apple does/requires. 

I would not be surprised if Apple is working on including atmos content in Airplay, rather than building in a casting option.  

I would not be surprised if Apple is working on including atmos content in Airplay, rather than building in a casting option.  

That would be fantastic; I didn’t know whether Airplay 2 was built to handle Atmos or not

That would be fantastic; I didn’t know whether Airplay 2 was built to handle Atmos or not

It probably isn’t, but Apple owns the standard.  They can just create a new Airplay 2.1 (or 3...whatever) get speaker makers to pay to be certified, bump the license fee, and go with it.    With airplay 2, there was an issue with a lot of existing speakers not having the proper hardware specs to be certified.  I would guess that there would not be the same issues with atmos capable airplay.  If a speaker/amp/receiver can already do airplay and atmos, then it probably can do atmos via airplay.