Answered

Apple TV 4K Multichannel PCM on Sonos Arc

• 14 June 2021
  • 1 reply

I own Sonos Arc + Sub (Gen 3) + 2 Sonos One products connected to newly bought Apple TV 4K via HDfury Arcana as my Samsung TV doesn't have eArc. I'm able to get Dolby ATMOS on it's supported latest movies i.e. TENET from streaming apps. But the issue I have is for Non ATMOS movies. I set audio HDMT output as Auto with Dolby ATMOS in my Apple TV. So movies with Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) 5.1 audio format, I get Multichannel PCM 5.1 instead of Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) 5.1 in my Sonos Arc. The Multichannel PCM 5.1 is softer than Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) 5.1 and the sound is not great.  Hence I would like to check if the sound can be better in Sonos Arc for DD+ 5.1 audio content movies? thanks

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 14 June 2021, 15:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

The Apple TV 4K uses the Dolby MAT audio codec to deliver Dolby Atmos audio. Any multichannel audio source not in Atmos will be played in Multichannel PCM 5.1 including sources encoded with Dolby Digital Plus. You can adjust the sound settings on the Apple TV by turning on Change Format and setting it to Dolby Digital if you prefer this over multichannel PCM. Or consider getting a different streaming device like a Roku Ultra or Nvidia Shield that doesn’t use Dolby MAT, although you would lose the ability to play Dolby Atmos music to the Arc from Apple Music or Tidal without an Apple TV 4K.